Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Finding Home Guard Unit

Article about: Hi I was wondering who I would see about finding out some informatio about my grandfather who served in the First World War (was gassed/wounded) and then again in the Home Guard in World War

Default Finding Home Guard Unit

Hi

I was wondering who I would see about finding out some informatio about my grandfather who served in the First World War (was gassed/wounded) and then again in the Home Guard in World War 2?

I know he was living in Kent (A place called Barn Corner in Edinbridge in Kent, UK) as I have a photo of him in Home Guard uniform although it is a bit hard to tell the unit number as the badge on his shoulder is a bit far away and hard to see. I have thought of enlarging the photo to see if I can tell what suffix/number is on there.

Can anyone help with finding out where I should look? I have tried message boaeds in Kent (via internet) and my grandmother passed away 10 years ago. My grandfather passed away in 1979 when I was 8 years old so I never got to ask him the questions I have now!!!

My family didn't ask him much as with many of his generation, especially after the First War he didn't talk much about it.

To date I can't find anything on the medal rolls for his WW1 service either as his name was quite common and being in Australia it gets a bit expensive downloading all medal cards via the internet! I hope to go to the National Archives when I am in Europe next year.

Can someone help with this as well?

Many thanks

Default Re: Finding Home Guard Unit

The photo might help. The unit numbers are not known to me, but a list of the letter pre fix is available.

http://www.home-guard.org.uk/hg/struc.html
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Finding Home Guard Unit

Hi Jerry,

I will take a look.

Much appreciated.

Many thanks