Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Grandfather's service history

Article about: Cut a long story short, my mother and father split when I was young. My father went back to his place of birth, Byker, Newcastle. I don't speak to him, so its hard to get information. My Gra

Default Grandfather's service history

Cut a long story short, my mother and father split when I was young. My father went back to his place of birth, Byker, Newcastle. I don't speak to him, so its hard to get information. My Grandfather (his dad) served during WW2 and I would love his military service history. Is there anyone who could help me? I know his date of birth, where he lived, second name isn't so common and regiment. I know in 1925 he was a driver for the Royal Army service corps and then during WW2 he served for the Royal Engineers and was evacuated from Dunkirk and discharged in 1943 due to bad injury he had in Africa. Due to not having his service number, I've constantly been round in circles.

Without his number, finding out his service history will be very difficult. I've had the same problem with my great grandfather on my dad's side. Everything related to his service was taken by other family members after he passed. All I know is roughly where he served.
    There's always a chance, though. Especially with a less-than-common surname.

B.B.

I had a similar problem regards the service number.
    I knew everything else: Name, DOB, regiment etc and couldn't get anywhere with the MOD.
    I found his service number with help of the Regimental Museum, and then got the paperwork form the MOD easily.
    I also managed to claim his medal entitlement (as he never did)

What regiment did your grandfather serve with?

Heres what i did:
    my grandad in the KOSB and the MOD brick wall

I was lucky as I had my Dad's TF medal which had his service number on it and I was able to apply to the M of D.

Good luck in your search.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I know he was in the Royal Engineers, DOB, where he was from etc. I've tried the MOD route and I've had no luck. I just seem to be going round in circles

His name was Frederick Brogden - DOB 8/12/1902 - Death 05/1955 (Due to an open wound that wouldn't close after an incident in Africa 1943). During 1939 - 1945 he lived at 45 Parker street, Byker in Newcastle. On his marriage certificate his occupation was T/5550 Driver 20th L of C Depot R.A.S.C. Marriage was in 1925, I found out from another family member that he joined the Royal Engineers and he spoke of Dunkirk and Africa and then another family member came up with that he was in the Pioneer corps and was sent to France, evacuated and started to serve with the Royal Engineers until he was injured in 1943. So I'm just going with the Royal Engineers, as you can see I've got plenty of information, yet I'm still going round in circles, so frustrating.

Have you tried applying to the MOD with his RASC service? as you have his number. T5550
    If they find that, it should have everything else linked.

Very good point Bananamafia! You may have made my day on two consecutive occasions! For some bizarre reason I though the T/5550 was some type of military vehicle as it had DVR after it. That was something I never fave a second thought.

Ive also just found the start of a family tree on ancestry, there is also a photo of Frederick attached.
    Im assuming this is yourself that has started the tree, so i wont post the photo here incase you dont want it shown.
    If it isnt you, let me know and i will send you the pic and tree via PM.

Yes, it's me who started the tree and added the photograph, thats how I got the above information. I was hoping that the said website would have held his service history, but it seems they don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast