Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Happy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALL

Article about: Evening all. This is my first post of the New Year - so here's to wishing you all the best! So, I recently aquired this canvas kit bag believed to be linked to the Royal Army Medical Corps R

Default Happy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALL

Evening all.

This is my first post of the New Year - so here's to wishing you all the best!

So, I recently aquired this canvas kit bag believed to be linked to the Royal Army Medical Corps RAMC.

If that is the case, I was wondering if there were public files available, so one could research. Or were these files dedicated for past servicemen and women who fought only?

The name is D.W. RANDALL - No. 7347559

The brand 'Union Brand Trade Mark Regd No. 288117 Made in England' - Could the regd no. give a clue as to the age of the piece. 28 Being the year? Again, this is something I'm yet to look into.

I would be very grateful for any information that can be shared.

Kind Regards, Gillan

Happy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALLHappy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALLHappy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALLHappy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALLHappy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALLHappy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALLHappy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALLHappy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALL

Interesting item. Can you say why you connect this to RAMC? It looks like a sailors sea bag to me.

Do you know anything about that service number?

I love a riddle!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Mark, the Army Number Search Tool shows it was a RAMC service number http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org...?query=7347559

Tony

Red face

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Interesting item. Can you say why you connect this to RAMC? It looks like a sailors sea bag to me.

Do you know anything about that service number?

I love a riddle!

Regards

Mark
    Hi Mark, thanks for the comment.

As Tony kindly pointed out, the service No. was a simple search away. I see where you're coming from with the big ol' ship on the label mind you. It did cross my mind prior the investigation.

Sadly I've no tale attached to the item (I wish I did). In my quest I did manage to find a decent photograph which displays what looks to be the same 'pattern' (WW1). It's a long shot. If I was a betting man I would estimate it the item to be interwar era. Saying that I'm no poker pro...

I'll keep the thread open should anyone care to step in and confirm any details on our man, Randall.

Cheers, Gillan.

Image credit: bugeye40

Happy New Year // RAMC Kit Bag D.W.RANDALL

Quote by ynot View Post
    Mark, the Army Number Search Tool shows it was a RAMC service number http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org...?query=7347559

Tony
    Thanks Tony, I am familiar with that tool and the website as a whole (consider my username for a clue as to why!!) I just wondered if Gillan had any info concerning the holder of that number in particulrar.

Exemplo Ducemus!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Gillan,

Great pic. I know the army did use bags like this and believe it or not it wasn't the label that prompted me. It was a gut feeling based on the colour that just said "sea bag".

The troops in the pic are clearly medical pers and it would be quite something if Randall was one of them!

Please let us know what you learn!

Regards

Mark

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Hi Gillan,

Great pic. I know the army did use bags like this and believe it or not it wasn't the label that prompted me. It was a gut feeling based on the colour that just said "sea bag".

The troops in the pic are clearly medical pers and it would be quite something if Randall was one of them!

Please let us know what you learn!

Regards

Mark
    Hey - You never know, Mark! I may well drop the 'seller' a line and ask if he knows more about the image, which is currently on sale at present.

Imagine.

I'll be sure to keep you updated. Thanks again.