Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with documents

Article about: I have a few documents for a medal group (i will be getting more later) it is a service record and a few others but i cant read them. I would appreciate any help thanks john

Default Help with documents

I have a few documents for a medal group (i will be getting more later) it is a service record and a few others but i cant read them. I would appreciate any help
    thanks
    john
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with documents   Help with documents  

Help with documents  

Default Re: Help with documents

Cool record - I've never read a South African one before. Incidentally, one of my friends, a Rat of Tobruk, was on the same ship ("Mauretania") at the same time except he had come from Australia. He remembers Durban in South Africa and Sierra Leone very well.

As for reading it - It took me months to be able to get used to the old style writing, but it's doable - just takes practice. The main problem with service records when you get started is the acronyms like "NRSL" in this one... with practice you'll come to the conclusion that the "L" on the end of that one equals "leave" and unless it's of vital importance to your research, that's usually good enough.

Good luck with it.