Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Help to identify name within mess dress dated 1935 (The Coldstream Guards)

Article about: Morning all. I recently acquired this Mess Dress believed to have been issued to The Coldstream Guards. Dated 1935. I'm looking for the name attached to the label if at all possible. A long

?

1938 Army List shows a Captain J.M.D. Booth-Tucker in the Royal West Kent Regt., rank from 24/11/35. Coincidence that the tailor is in Maidstone, Kent?

BobS

?

Almost forgot to look in my 1952 Army List! Booth-Tucker is now a major in the RWK & a temporary lt.col. as of 1/1/52. Does not appear to have been awarded any decorations, etc. for WWII.

Bob S

Quote by BobS View Post
    1938 Army List shows a Captain J.M.D. Booth-Tucker in the Royal West Kent Regt., rank from 24/11/35. Coincidence that the tailor is in Maidstone, Kent?

BobS
    I think you may have struck gold sir. Excellent work Bob. Thank you.

So I decided to see what Google could offer. I mainly found snippets from Newspapers dating 1928-1935.

I then came across the following. Which suggests that he may have spent time in The Middle East/Malta during WW2? (2nd BN RWK) - Mentioned at the bottom of the page. Research continues.

4 September 1940: Churchill Praises Malta’s Commander in Chief

SEP
    Malta – World War 2. First visit to maltagc70? CLICK HERE

Get daily updates direct to your computer – sign up to follow maltagc70 (see R)

British Prime Minister Winston Churchill (IWM MH26392)
    British Prime Minister Winston Churchill (IWM MH26392)
    BRITISH WAR CABINET RECOGNISES CONVOY SUCCESS

British Prime Minister Winston Churchill is planning to send a public message to Malta’s Governor and Commander in Chief Lt Gen Dobbie, congratulating him on having “ably and gallantly conducted the defence of Malta since Italy’s entry to the war.” The Prime Minister announced his intention to the War Cabinet in London, following the successful arrival and fast unloading of stores from Valiant, Coventry and Calcutta in Grand Harbour.

HOPED FOR GUNS WILL NOT COME TO MALTA

The War Office has informed the Governor and Commander in Chief that much-needed artillery will not after all be diverted from the Middle East to assist Malta. A telegram today announced that 12 heavy and 10 light anti-aircraft guns which are expected imminently in the Middle East are needed there.

27 Heavy Artillery Battery will be posted to Malta and 12 heavy and eight light Ack Ack guns have been allocated from artillery being manufactured in September. It has not yet been decided whether an attempt will be made to transport those guns direct through the western Mediterranean, or whether they will be shipped via the long sea route round the Cape.

AIR RAIDS DAWN 4 SEPTEMBER TO DAWN 5 SEPTEMBER 1940

Weather Fine.

1730-1801 hrs Air raid alert for enemy aircraft which are reported approaching in several formations due east of Grand Harbour and then south of Delimara but do not cross the coast or drop bombs.

2130 hrs An enemy Motor Torpedo Boat is reported in the vicinity of Dingli; the Royal Navy set out to investigate and coastal defences are ordered to keep close watch.

OPERATIONS REPORTS WEDNESDAY 4 SEPTEMBER 1940

AIR HQ Departures 4 Sunderlands.

KALAFRANA All four Sunderlands left for the Middle East.

3rd Bn KINGS OWN MALTA REGIMENT Five recruits enlisted.

2nd Bn ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS Construction of accommodation at Ta Qali continues. 101 per company in turn to be struck off night watch and other duties for one week in order to undergo collective training.

2nd Bn ROYAL WEST KENT REGIMENT Reserve Battalion exercise in conjunction with Fortress Royal Engineers. Major Booth-Tucker reviewed Hal Far defences.

2nd Battalion:
    September 1939: The 2nd Battalion was part of the garrison of Malta.
    June 1940: Italians launched air-raids against the island of Malta.
    Early in 1942: The Battalion was now defending Luqa Airfield, Malta and faced serve air-raids by the German's
    09 May 1942: From an aircraft carrier reinforcements of Spitfires flew in and the Battalion helped them to refuel.
    20 November 1942: Malta's siege ended.
    June 1943: Were in North Africa and part of 234 Infantry Brigade.
    20 September 1943: Still with 234 Infantry Brigade were sent to Samos as part of a force to occupy islands in the Aegean
    12 November 1943: Was ordered to reinforce the island of Leros which was being invaded by the Germans.
    16 November 1943: Most of the survivors were captured by the Germans after they were overwhelmed by air attack. Less than 100 managed to escape and sent back to the UK.
    02 May 1944: They were amalgamated with the 7th Battalion to form a new 2nd Battalion and shortly after in the same month became part of 61 Infantry Division.
    1945: Sent to Germany.

201 Malta Pioneer Group
    In 1942, 201 Malta Pioneer Group was formed under the command of Maj J M D Booth-Tucker RWK. A number of officers and men from the KOMR were transferred to the corps.

Well, I came late to this party and it looks like the question has been answered but for what it is worth this could not be Coldstream Guards by any stretch as the lapel badges are totally wrong as are the buttons.

The lapel badges would be a representation of the CG cap badge which is itself a representation of the badge of the Garter Star and the buttons would bear the same motif.

Don't take my word for it but I believe if it were guards it would have gold braid detaill on the cuffs. I also believe I am correct in saying this is the 1902 pattern jacket. The type in different patterns is referred to as "infantry" as it is also worn by non infantry corps / regiments (others, like my own former unit wore a cavalry pattern because our history included a mounted element).

I hope this is of interest and I'm glad to see the forum members knowledge base is still doing the business!

Regards

MArk
    I get the button grouping idea ie buttons in twos = 2nd Regt of Footguards therefore Coldstream Guards but this is coincidence as RWK had their buttons in twos as well.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Well, I came late to this party and it looks like the question has been answered but for what it is worth this could not be Coldstream Guards by any stretch as the lapel badges are totally wrong as are the buttons.

The lapel badges would be a representation of the CG cap badge which is itself a representation of the badge of the Garter Star and the buttons would bear the same motif.

Don't take my word for it but I believe if it were guards it would have gold braid detaill on the cuffs. I also believe I am correct in saying this is the 1902 pattern jacket. The type in different patterns is referred to as "infantry" as it is also worn by non infantry corps / regiments (others, like my own former unit wore a cavalry pattern because our history included a mounted element).

I hope this is of interest and I'm glad to see the forum members knowledge base is still doing the business!

Regards

MArk
    I get the button grouping idea ie buttons in twos = 2nd Regt of Footguards therefore Coldstream Guards but this is coincidence as RWK had their buttons in twos as well.
    Cheers for the detailed post. Most helpful. It seems the information that I was originally provided was incorrect (with regards to the Coldstream). I perhaps should have gone with my gut with RWK - As I had seen the buttons on a previous piece. Just not on Mess Dress. As I was unfamiliar with the spacing of the buttons I simply took their word. Glad we were able to clarify. Not only that but we now have a name to go attach , which is a treat.

All the best. Gillan.

So RWK's were correct then. Interesting that they also paired their buttons which is the only thing that threw me. Always good to learn something new.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    So RWK's were correct then. Interesting that they also paired their buttons which is the only thing that threw me. Always good to learn something new.
    Bang on. Hats' off to you sir !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast