Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Help with info on friend's grandpa. USN

Article about: Hello all! Last night, my buddy and I got to talking about our grandparents and what they experienced during the war. I know a little bit about what my grandparents did, but he knows pretty

Default Re: Help with info on friend's grandpa. USN

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    During wartime, sailors would quite often get transferred from one ship to another. Depending on where they were needed, what type of ships were needed where and for what, etc. Depended also on the Condition of the ship, such as the one losing bow doors to storm damage, or who can say what battle damage they sustained in all the campaigns they were in. In peace time, sailors could pretty much call one ship home for the long haul.
    Sailors were issued their own helmets, their own 45's, etc. Each had their own numbers and locker location. They kept none of this equipment in their personal lockers, though, but would report to the armory for them when needed, say, for target practice, drills, etc.
    Type of ship in the photo? Unfortunately, no clue. It could be a deck scene from any number of ships - definitely in the tropics, though, from the wooden benches, sun shade awnings and Cordella not wearing a shirt! William
    Thanks for the info! It looks like they're in the tropics based on how sunny it appears in the picture... they're all squinting!

I have an old M1 steel pot sitting under my bed... I'm thinking about getting it restored in honor of his grandpa and presenting it to my buddy.

I could be way off... but I think the original picture I posted was taken on this ship:

Wagriff. That information is amazing. If you could PM me and let me know how you got so much detail I would appreciate it. I am currently looking into two US service personnel and would love to be able to get that sort of information !

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Wagriff. That information is amazing. If you could PM me and let me know how you got so much detail I would appreciate it. I am currently looking into two US service personnel and would love to be able to get that sort of information !

Steve T
    Of course, I'd love to know too!

Did these ships have names? Or they just known as "USS LCI(L)-28", for example?

The photo looks like you've pretty much bulls-eyed it. It looks like when they were in dock for any length of time that they set up benches and awnings for the crew to use on the ramps. Good eye! And, no-the ships generally did not Officially have names-except whatever nickname they may or may not have been given by the crew,of course.
    As for finding info, ancestry.com has released many military records to the public (well, paid members,anyway..)-particularly the WWII Navy muster rolls of late. Once you find the muster roll entry, they usually give the number or name of the ship with the date and name of the sailor, so it's a quick enough search on the net- usually at Photo Archive Main Index to track down the ship and it's history. Once you know what Ship the sailor was on,it's a easy enough next step. I see my own father is listed there now( he was on a carrier). Interesting stuff,for sure! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Awesome! Thank you so much William!

Quote by Steve T View Post

Steve T
    The same for me,please!!!!!!
    I'm tracking 2 GI's after relatives of mine found their sterling chain bracelet while digging on a lucky strike camp...Nara's listing are mute on these 2 persons.

I got a helmet restored in honor of my friend's grandpa.

Here is a pic of my friend with his new helmet. HE LOVES IT!

This is how he decided to display the helmet and patch I gave him. I'm so pleased!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast