MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Help Researching an Engineer Special Brigade Soldier

Article about: Hello all! This past Valentine's Day my wife bought me a beautiful wartime Ike jacket with amphibious engineer insignia on it while we were up north in Canton, NY visiting my alma mater, St.

Default Help Researching an Engineer Special Brigade Soldier

Hello all!

This past Valentine's Day my wife bought me a beautiful wartime Ike jacket with amphibious engineer insignia on it while we were up north in Canton, NY visiting my alma mater, St. Lawrence University. Better yet, she was able to talk the seller down and purchase it for only $15.
    Help Researching an Engineer Special Brigade SoldierHelp Researching an Engineer Special Brigade SoldierHelp Researching an Engineer Special Brigade Soldier

Oddly enough, I posted it on Facebook for discussion and someone recognized that the jacket had been listed on eBay back in January but then pulled before the item could be bid on. This gentleman was able to share the old listing with me and I noticed that the seller is located in Ogdensburg, NY, only 20mins away from the antique store where my wife purchased the jacket.

Here is a photo from the listing. The Ike has since lost it's Victory medal ribbon...

I am hoping to find out more about the veteran who owned this Ike jacket. I have contacted the seller on eBay (no answer yet) with the hope that he/she will have more information on the source of the jacket.

In an attempt to research on my own, I figured I would search "Amphibious Engineer, WWII, and Ogdensburg, NY" on google and I found this obituary. Could this be the right vet? Some of the information is correct... and how many amphibious engineers could be from the little city of Ogdensburg...? But the Ike I have has no Pacific campaign ribbon...
    Andrew Fraser Obituary - Honesdale, PA | Wayne Independent

To add another wrinkle to the mystery, these were found in the breast pocket of the jacket:

Could anyone please offer any tips or tricks in researching this jacket? Pointing out any leads I may have missed would also be appreciated. Finally, if anyone is bored and wants to lend a helping hand, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!

Gidday mate

This is an interesting Ike and a steel at $15!!

Note the individual has an Invasion arrowhead and served in 3 campaigns re his ribbon: Good conduct medal , American Campaign , EAME with Arrowhead and 3 campaign also Distinguish Unit Citation.

Individual had 3 years service (1 x hash mark) and 2 years over seas (4 x 6 month bars).

In your hand is 4x 6 month overseas bullion on wool service , Quartermaster Corp Branch Insignia , Honorable discharge Pin , Good Conduct Pin re the medal.

The 1st ,5th , 6th ESB served in Normandy (1st Sicily, Italy , Normandy) they were composed of many service support units ie Quartermaster Corp.

Unless it has a name , serial number inside the Ike or seller can provide any other details it will remain nameless.

The seahorse is Amphibious Training Command.

Your wife has a good eye and a great negotiator.

Can you take a closer pic of the blue insignia on his shoulder?

Phill

Thanks for the reply and interest, Phil! The general lack of interest in US stuff on this forum can be a little frustrating.

I can provide photos of the shoulder sleeve insignia tomorrow. It's a nice clean example and I like the zigzag stitching!

I contacted the webmaster of an ESB association website and he recommended I look into the service of a gentleman named William M. Graham.

Although his obituary doesn't list the unit he served in, he is listed as being from the same town where the jacket was sold out of, earned the same medals as what are on the jacket, and he " studied engineering during his military service". A long shot... but worth researching!

He was born Sept. 9, 1924, in Ogdensburg, son of Beatrice Chevrier and William Graham. He graduated from Ogdensburg Free Academy in 1942.

In February 1943, he enlisted in the U.S. Army, serving in the European Theater during World War II, including at Omaha Beach in Normandy and at Bastogne, France, during the Battle of the Bulge. He earned the American Service Medal, the European African Middle Eastern Service Medal, the Good Conduct Medal and the World War II Victory Medal. He was honorably discharged in March 1946. During his military service he studied engineering at the University of Wisconsin, Clarkson University and the University of Virginia.

Good luck on your research and post if you find out any more.

For $15 your wife has picked a keeper.

All the best

Phill

MAP
    ?

Great pick up. $15???? Those are 1970 prices!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I should add he most likely was in one of the Quartermaster companies re QM branch insignia.

Also can you take a pic of that Blue insignia on his shoulder its not normal to have that type of insignia like that on his shoulder also I don't recognize it.

Phill

Quote by MAP View Post
    Great pick up. $15???? Those are 1970 prices!!
    Thanks, Map!

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    I should add he most likely was in one of the Quartermaster companies re QM branch insignia.

Also can you take a pic of that Blue insignia on his shoulder its not normal to have that type of insignia like that on his shoulder also I don't recognize it.

Phill
    Hi Phil... I am not following you... It's a standard army amphibious engineer shoulder sleeve insignia with fancy "victory" style stitching.

Are you maybe referring to the funky price tag that was attached to the epaulet with surgical tape?

Thanks GIZMO

Price tag that fooled me!!

Anyway thats a nice closer pic of a double thread "x" stitch.

Phill