Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help wanted on locating information on Staff Sgt. Walter Makohon - Battle Casualty in Germany December 15, 1944

Article about: Hi Folks, I acquired a set of paperwork that was listed on eBay and came out of an estate sometime back. The documents consist of a Western Union Telegram sent to the Soldier's Mother that h

Default Help wanted on locating information on Staff Sgt. Walter Makohon - Battle Casualty in Germany December 15, 1944

Hi Folks,

I acquired a set of paperwork that was listed on eBay and came out of an estate sometime back. The documents consist of a Western Union Telegram sent to the Soldier's Mother that he was listed as Missing in Action on December 15, 1944, a day before the Battle of the Bulge began if I am correct. The Soldier is Staff Sergeant Walter Makohon, who was reported missing on the 15th of December in Germany. I would like to find what unit he was with and any surrounding information on the Soldier that may be out there. I have posted a series of documents that were in this collection and previously posted on the auction site online. They include a letter from his Brother John Makohon, from November 6, 1944 from France, a copy of a letter to the Soldiers Mother from Major General J.A. Ulio, and a Condolence Card from General Marshall. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide or guidance on how to locate information on this Soldier, his unit and the actions he was involved with. Thanks.

Help wanted on locating information on Staff Sgt. Walter Makohon - Battle Casualty in Germany December 15, 1944Help wanted on locating information on Staff Sgt. Walter Makohon - Battle Casualty in Germany December 15, 1944Help wanted on locating information on Staff Sgt. Walter Makohon - Battle Casualty in Germany December 15, 1944Help wanted on locating information on Staff Sgt. Walter Makohon - Battle Casualty in Germany December 15, 1944Help wanted on locating information on Staff Sgt. Walter Makohon - Battle Casualty in Germany December 15, 1944

No records found to a soldier as MIA or KIA with this name:

American Battle Monuments Commission

So there may be a happier ending to this story?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I also can't find his enlistment record. I will look into this for you in the morning as I might have a few tricks up my sleeve.

Case closed:

R.I.P.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help wanted on locating information on Staff Sgt. Walter Makohon - Battle Casualty in Germany December 15, 1944  

John Makohon was in the U.S. Navy and died in 2001. If you contact forum member Wagriff (William) he should be able to dig up some good info on him.

Joseph Makohon (1923 - 2001) Genealogy - Family Tree and History

A rather poignant end to this thread I'm afraid. (I was referring to Walter)...

One final note: The 379th Infantry Regiment was engaged in bitter house-to-house fighting at Saarlautern (now Saarlouis) for these few days in early-mid December of 1944. I'm sure that this is where he was killed.

By the way, (Sorry, I can't stop.) SSgt. Makohon was Jewish.

You all as USUAL are absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! THANK YOU! May I ask on the photo of the headstone, where is he buried? Thank you all again for your help, I am most appreciative! Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast