Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Helping an old soldier reclaim his awards

Article about: Hello all, I have a family friend from Australia that's visiting for a couple of weeks, and I got into a conversation with her about her grandfather's service. He was a soldier in the Britis

Default Helping an old soldier reclaim his awards

Hello all,

I have a family friend from Australia that's visiting for a couple of weeks, and I got into a conversation with her about her grandfather's service. He was a soldier in the British Army during WWI, and she can't remember the awards that he was awarded. The reason for this is because when she was a girl, she brought them to class for a 'show and tell', and mysteriously, some of the medals disappeared (We both believe that the teacher may have taken them). Would anyone be able to help us figure out his service and what awards he was entitled to?

His name is Morris Goodman (possibly spelled Maurice), and served in the British Army during WWI. If anyone can help us look up his service records/entitled awards, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Alex

Default Re: Helping an old soldier reclaim his awards

It depends when he served from. He almost certainly would have been entitled to the the British War Medal and Victory Medal (on the photo the one in the center and on the right). If he had served earlier then there may have been a 1914 or 1914- 15 Star added to this (the one on the left). You could try searching for his medal index card on the National Archives website: British Army medal index cards 1914-1920 | The National Archives
    Attached Images Attached Images Helping an old soldier reclaim his awards 

Please, have a look
    https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...urname=goodman

Cheers,
    Michel

Just did a quick search on the National Archives. There are 4 results for Maurice Goodman and 6 for Morris Goodman. It would be good if you knew which regiment he served in. Perhaps there is a photo of him in uniform that you could scan? Cheers.

The best you can do for replacements is replicas. The MOD ceased making issues of WW I awards over a decade ago.