Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

home guard records

Article about: home guard records gentlemen with reference to my mother guizella toth ,sorry gues see my nold post by that name , i am still hiting walls . so i would like to know how to get the service re

ian
    ?

Default home guard records

home guard records
    gentlemen with reference to my mother guizella toth ,sorry gues see my nold post by that name , i am still hiting walls . so i would like to know how to get the service records for home guard ,IE my dad , he was the pike of the unit in aspley guise , bedfordshire he was the medic and about 21 at the start of the war ,, but i can find no records ??? any and all help please guys ... cheers ian
    his name was leslie francis norman

ian
    ?

Default Re: home guard records

my dad is on both knees on the right ,ithink he has the beds and herts cap badge ,,,, any help please lads , cheers iaqn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture home guard records  

Hi Ian, all I can suggest is here:

Setvice Records,Medals and Badges

But I really doubt Home Guard records are covered.

The National Archives might be a start, if they have any kind of unit rosters?

Cheers, Ade.

ian
    ?

the old fella joind the st johns ambulance in 1936 he then was put into the home guard , initialy he was badged "bedforshire" but later the unit was re badged BEDS&HERTS , the old fella told me he spent lots of time dealing with the US airforce wounded at Lacenheath and mildenhall and many other us basses in the area , he was always troubled by the things he had to deal with
    i saw he was allways edgy and bothered by war films and documentries ,he saw far more i think than we could imagine , he told me about a B17 that bellied on the ruway at cranfield and the belly gunner was still in his turret as his hatch was jamed ,, only half of that poor boy was found ,and my dad had to remove it ,,not good ,but oh well thats war ,,,ian

Ian

Just done a quick Google and found this link:-

Looking for records of a person in the Home Guard | The National Archives

If you go about half way down the page you will see that Home Guard records are retained by MOD - you should be able get your father's records if you qualify as next of kin.

Good hunting !

Regards

Richie

ian
    ?

hi richie thanks for the link BUT as ive bin there before and it just sends you in huge circles unless you pay and when you pay 10 seconds later it comes back (no record found ) big rip off , its realy demorolising ,it doesnt mater where i go i get the same , oh well thats life eh cheers ian

ian
    ?

its much the same with my mother , her name is acknowlaged by record from mi9 , soe, and others but that is all , i have more doors slamed in my face than you would believe , 100 year rule has bin quoted to me ? its just daft ,so much for friedom of info act eh cheers ian

ian
    ?

just an observation of my old fella , when dads army was on the telly years aggo he used to rock backwards and forwards in his chair and slap his legs ,,,with tears in his eyes ,, and shout "its so true its so true" hysterical luaghter ,, i loved that man so much ,god i miss him ,he was a real gentleman
    becouse of what he taught me i walked my commbat medic cource ,he was some man worth his weight in gold