Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

home guard units

Article about: Hi guys, trying to find out what my grandfather was involved in during ww2. living in the remote area of suffolk there was the home guard and a special auxcillary group but my grandad was in

Default home guard units

Hi guys, trying to find out what my grandfather was involved in during ww2. living in the remote area of suffolk there was the home guard and a special auxcillary group but my grandad was in neither, he was a farmer and therefore not conscripted to the regular army however he did tell my father that he was in a secret group and my dad remembers he did have some type of insignia but has since been lost. can any body tell me what other civilian army posts were out there that my grandfather would have been in... regards Paul

?

Default Re: home guard units

Have a look here.
    Auxiliary Units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Specifically:
    "The 'combat units' were the Operational Patrols, but these were supported by Special Duty Sections, from the local civilian population. This group acted as the spotters for the action teams."

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Default Re: home guard units

Many thanks for the info, i do have infomation on the unit that served in our village but my grandfather was not part of this unit that we know of, in fact the origional o b still exists and is still in good condition, he was definatly involved in something but perhaps we will never no...