Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

The humble poppy

Article about: Hi Chaps The humble poppy represents a few things but a bit which is often forgotten or is very much a unknown is what the poppy leaf is for and its even missed by those who are seen on the

?

Default The humble poppy

Hi Chaps
    The humble poppy represents a few things but a bit which is often forgotten or is very much a unknown is what the poppy leaf is for and its even missed by those who are seen on the TV wearing the poppy correctly is in self is a way to remember what it signifies . What I am referring to is the leaf if worn CORRECTLY the leaf should be worn at the 11 o'clock position marking the 11 hr /11 day of the 11 month the day the war and time it ended !
    how many of you are now checking your poppy's ?
    steve
    Last edited by ASR142; 11-08-2014 at 12:06 AM.

There are many people who say that the leaf should point to 11 o'clock. The Royal British Legion told Newsbeat: "There is no right or wrong way to wear a poppy. It is a matter of personal choice whether an individual chooses to wear a poppy and also how they choose to wear it. The best way to wear a poppy is to wear it with pride."

While still a symbol of remembrance that helps raise money for veterans, poppies sold in Scotland have four petals and no leaf.

Quote by scottmadoo View Post
    While still a symbol of remembrance that helps raise money for veterans, poppies sold in Scotland have four petals and no leaf.
    Those meddling Jockanese......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by scottmadoo View Post
    too tight to shell out for the leaf? LOL

PS I have some Scottish ancestry so I'm not being racist or reinforcing racial stereotypes.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Although they're uncommon, the buddy poppies sold here for veterans' causes also have four petals and no leaf. There's usually a small piece of paper wrapped around the base which denotes the organization that benefits, and the stems are made from a material similar to wire ties.

?

Default Original poppy

HI Chaps !!
    Here is a original example which pre dates the later one which has a glass Haig's fund center section then went to a blank center section and then to a poppy appeal center
    note the 1st one had 5 petals and the leaf is stuck in place at the 11 O'Clock position. The fund was set up in 1921 by Field Marshal Douglas Haig (1st Earl Haig ) to aid the ex-service personal from mainly the 1st war how ever those from the south African war where also helped.
    rember to wear them with pride !!! Steve

The humble poppyThe humble poppyThe humble poppyThe humble poppy

?

The Latin girls use to call me poppy a lot.
    "That's it poppy. That's it."

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    The Latin girls use to call me poppy a lot.
    "That's it poppy. That's it."
    No no no, its "Papi".

Trust me, i know this..