Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?

Article about: Caleb Here TLDR Too Long Didn't Read: Check out the following documents, some original some copies. Please share your opinions or thoughts, I encourage that. I am trying to really narrow dow

Default If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?

Caleb Here
    If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?

TLDR Too Long Didn't Read: Check out the following documents, some original some copies. Please share your opinions or thoughts, I encourage that. I am trying to really narrow down Stan's whereabouts during his time spent overseas.

Well, this is my third time to type this... Third times the charm. Okay well, I am gonna share some cool photos with y'all. I am really thankful to have these documents, bunch of neat history. Stan is my Grandmother's, late Aunt's, Husband who passed away in '91 I do believe. I was born in '95 unfortunately never was able to meet Stan. My Grandmother tells me he was a "nut" but I think she meant it in a way that he was pretty entertaining.

I am trying to narrow down battalion or company, however it is properly called, that Stan was in. I am not even sure if I can get that far, but I am curious as to what all of the great people around here have to say. Plus I think y'all will enjoy looking at this stuff, just as I do.

If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?

Bonus Round with unknown features lol
    Do you know what I am? Why am I in a box with other militaria? If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?

sorry about the cluster bomb. I had to upload this before I fall asleep. I have wanted to post this for the past few days but just keep getting pulled away.

Regards and Peace and Love
    Caleb

Caleb,

Good looking documents. You have enough information to possibly get more records from the National Archives (NARA) and if you are next of kin could get replacement medals if you don't have the original medals...

So based on what you have posted it appears Mr. Griffith started out in the Infantry, was a member of 1st Battalion 328th Infantry Regiment, 26th Infantry Division. Based on the diary his first engagement was an attack on Honskirch, Germany on November 24/25 1944. According to the 328th unit history, the 1st BN 328th Infantry sent A and C Companies into that attack, there is no mention of the other companies in the BN, they made have been held in reserve.. But you have enough information to start your search in either A or C company for Mr. Griffith...

After the war, it appears Mr. Griffith did not have enough points to rotate home so he was assigned to the 294th Military Police Company in Paris and was rotated home after his service and finally discharged in April 1946, about 2 years after he enlisted... The leather pouch is most likely a souvenir from Paris and the capture certificate indicates he brought home a .32 cal pistol, a German knife and a sabre...

Smitty

Thanks for stopping by Smitty! Thank you for pointing out the "A and C Companies." I definitely think that's what I am looking for. Really curious as to how the "Next of kin" would play out. I really want to put together a nice display of Mr. Griffith's service history, thanks again for sharing your thought process with me.
    Regards Caleb P.

Caleb,

Talk to you Grandmother, she may be the link to sign the form to get the medals from NARA..

Here is a link to a topic I wrote about how to request records through NARA.. If you have difficulties navigating through the process, just let me know..

A Tutorial on how to search for US Service Members Records from the National Archives (NARA)

Smitty

Very interesting, thank you for sharing !
    Regards
    Paul

Calab,
    I can not add anymore than what Smitty has already told you. You have a lot of information to go off of, more than most people. Here is the only thing I could find.

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?   If Only You Were Here Mr. Griffith, This would be a piece of cake. April 20 1944?  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Right on Marty! that’s his crypt, located at Restland in Dallas Tx. I recently went out there for the first time to lay His wife to rest. Thanks for taking your personal time to do a quick search!!! I have a bunch of these cards that are similar to that “registration” form, I just don’t think they are necessarily military related so I didn’t share them. I hope to find out more soon!!!

I called the National Archives customer support. With the help of Rakkansan187's guide, I was EASILY able to find and locate the Standard Form 180. The lady that I spoke with states "You don't have to be next-of-kin to get replacement medals for the US Army Pre-Korean War.” I was like ehhhh you are making it sound wayyyyy to easy. I'm gonna get the paperwork filled out and faxed over today hopefully. I will post updates.

I am wondering if Stan (Mr. Griffith) qualifies for the Army of Occupation Medal WWII?

I don't see anything about France. So....

Anyways, I'm gonna go get that stuff done, maybe, hopefully.
    Last edited by SirCaleb; 05-04-2019 at 08:00 PM. Reason: https://www.veteranmedals.army.mil/ picture belongs to the preceding web address. I do not claim ownership

MAP
    ?

Would be fantastic if you could get "Official" replacement awards and have the corresponding official paperwork. These of course will most likely be of modern manufacture.

I would also recommend you search for and buy period made examples as well. They are cheap and can be found on eBay as well as many dealer sites. Just make sure you know what you are buying because often eBay sellers will list them as WW2 when in fact they are new manufacture.

If you go down this route we can help confirm the period of manufacture when you see one you are interested in buying.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for sharing your thought process!!! I am about to fax the SF180 form to St. Louis. We will see how this plays out.

I agree it would be amazing if I could get Official replacement medals for Stan!!! That is our goal MAP. I would be and I am interested in buying period made examples, and I thank you for offering your help and personal time.
    Regards Caleb
    Last edited by SirCaleb; 05-04-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast