Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Learning new things everyday!

Article about: I recently spent time back home in New Zealand with my Grandparents, they have only just started talking to me about there memories from the wars and about my family during the war, I learnt

Default Learning new things everyday!

I recently spent time back home in New Zealand with my Grandparents, they have only just started talking to me about there memories from the wars and about my family during the war, I learnt that my Great Great Uncle fought for New Zealand during WW1 and that he won a military medal (for gallantry). I'm not sure exactly want happened but the story that my Grandfather told me was that my G.G Uncles section was holding off an enemy attack in France when his section commander was wounded my G.G uncle assumed command, most of his section was wounded so he lined up there rifles and ran up and down the trench using there rifles to defend there lines! I have a copy of his citation and I will try and post it up here!

My Grandmother grew up in Holland during WW2 and she really opened up about what she remembered too, she was telling me about how the Germans would enter their home and make sure everything was "orderly" she also told me about how they were moved/relocated as they lived near the ocean and the Germans didn't want them near the coast, she also recalled seeing bombers flying over and hearing bombs go off near where she lived.

I also learnt that a great uncle of mine lied about his age to enter the second world war as he was to old!

I know a lot of you won't be interested but I thought this would be the place to share these stories, as i was really proud and honored to learn that my Grandparents and there families lived through and experienced war, and that they're brave enough to share their stories with someone who has a deep interest in that era.

Regards,
    Caleb.

Default Re: Learning new things everyday!

Thanks for sharing your family history with us...it's things like this that keep me interested in this hobby...everyone who lived back then has a story to tell, and it never gets old. Added to that the incredible feeling when holding a medal or helmet from those dramatic days...
    cheers, Glenn

That's exactly how I felt, I am incredibly interested in the sedona world war era! I am the only teenager out of all my friends who would prefer to sit down and study my small collection of medals then to go out partying. And then to learn some of my family experienced it first hand made it even more worth while.

Thanks for reading,
    Caleb.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your family history with us...it's things like this that keep me interested in this hobby...everyone who lived back then has a story to tell, and it never gets old. Added to that the incredible feeling when holding a medal or helmet from those dramatic days...
    cheers, Glenn
    I'll second that Glenn, I used to sit for hours listening to my Granddad, he'd tell me indepth stories about his time on the north Atlantic and arctic convoys.

My grandad was just a kid when the war broke out and he started laughing during one of his stories and yelled "I haven't remembered this in years!!" he went on to tell me how a training exercise through the area in which he lived ended up in the soldiers getting lost and the commanding officer knocking on their door asking for directions and My grandad and his brothers persuaded the officer to show them his pistol. I was the first person he had told for years he said, I can only imagine how times have changed ahaha!

Regards,
    Caleb.

Sadly, those same men are passing away now. I feel that my life has been greatly enriched by having the honor of meeting so many...
    cheers, Glenn

Very sad indeed, but it's safe to say they will never be forgotten. By sharing stories like these, legacies of these men will live on forever.

Caleb.

I wish that I listerned to my father better when he spoke about his war service.

I wish I had started talking to my grandparents earlier.... It's amazing what can be sitting right underneath your nose and you don't even know it.

Caleb.

I may be incredibly wrong about this, but I think Ade might have British and Commonwealth WWI service index cards, or something to that effect. It's worth asking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast