Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Living War Heros

Article about: Name Some of the great combat veterans you know are still alive today! I'll start with Rochus Misch, the person living that was inside Der Fuher Bunker when Hitler shot himself. *This is a p

?

Default Living War Heros

Name Some of the great combat veterans you know are still alive today!

I'll start with Rochus Misch, the person living that was inside Der Fuher Bunker when Hitler shot himself.

*This is a pure interest thread, nothing bad is meant by it.

Default Re: Living War Heros

Mr. Beach won the silver star (actually has two of them) and is my freind...

understood the kid

Vilis Samsons, Hero of Soviet Union, last living Latvian WWII Hero of Soviet Union, he was commander of Latvian partisan brigade. Also he has two Orders of Patriotic War I Class, Order of The Red Flag, and a lot of medals, all earned in WWII, before war he was a teacher in small country school in Eastern Latvia, WWII for him started in August in Latvian Riflemen (43rd) Guard Division, he fought near Staraya Russa and Moscow, in 1942 he ended officers training and went through frontline to make partisan units in Latvia.

He is Great man, he have a lot of interesting stories about WWII. He don't like politics and one of his friends is from Latvian SS Legion. I know him personaly. He is 89 now.

?

My grandfather, Velton Rye served in the Pacific theater during WW II. He turned 90 in December 2010. As for more famous veterans, Alfred Rubbel comes to mind. Mr. Rubbel was a Tiger commander during the war and was involved in many battles all over the Eastern Front including Kursk and Tscherkassy. He co-authored a book entitled The Combat History of German Tiger Tank Battalion 503 in World War II. About a month ago I wrote a letter to him asking if he would autograph a picture of himself for me. A few weeks later I was happily surprised to find a large envelope from Germany in the mailbox. Mr. Rubbel was nice enough to send three signed pictures and a letter discussing his service time during the war. He seems like a real gentleman and I appreciate his gracious reply to my letter.

Is Reinhard Hardegen of U-123 still alive? I did a search and cannot find any info to the contrary. I read the book "Operation Drumbeat".....if any one is interested in UBoat ops off the American coast, I highly recommend it.

?

Quote by spectre68 View Post
    Is Reinhard Hardegen of U-123 still alive? I did a search and cannot find any info to the contrary. I read the book "Operation Drumbeat".....if any one is interested in UBoat ops off the American coast, I highly recommend it.
    Yup he is still alive, at the frail age of 98 according to wikipedia

thanks for the info. wow...still plugging along!

?

no body else?. there should be some more

Bert Trautmann Manchester City goalkeeper, Ex Luftwaffe Fallschirmjaeger. Every paratrooper is a hero!

I think there are still two living VC receipients from WW2:-

John Cruickshank (RAF) and Tul Bahadur Pun (6th Gurkha Rifles).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast