Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Looking for info on Navy Man killed during WW II

Article about: Hello, All. I'm wondering if someone here can help me see what I can find out about a US Navy man. What I know: Aviation Machinist's Mate 2c Orval Dean Lowrimore from Delano California Born

Default Looking for info on Navy Man killed during WW II

Hello, All. I'm wondering if someone here can help me see what I can find out about a US Navy man. What I know:

Aviation Machinist's Mate 2c Orval Dean Lowrimore
    from Delano California
    Born September 18, 1922 in Arkansas

KIA June 16, 1944
    received the Air medal

his parents were Harvey Harrison Lowrimore and Connie Lucille (Crouch) Lowrimore.

His body was not recovered, or, I guess, buried at sea. I'm curious about where he served and how he was killed, and any other info that might turn up. I'm not related to him, but I stumbled upon his listing on find-a-grave as being memorialized on the Memorial to the Missing in Anchorage Alaska (which suggests he died serving in Alaska or maybe on an aircraft carrier in that area).

Anyway, his name is mis-spelled on the memorial, which got me curious what it actually was, which got me curious about how he was killed, which lead me here.

So can anyone tell me how to determine where and how he served?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Abe Froman; 02-03-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Default Re: Looking for info on Navy Man killed during WW II

If you have an Ancestry account, you might find something here:
    Orval D Lowrimore - Ancestry.com

Here he is listed as "Lost at sea":
    Ship's Tribute Detail

Other than that, I can't really help you, good luck on your search!
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from 38. Batterie, Heeres Küsten Artillerie Regiment 977, also from 31, 32 and 36. Batterie.

Default Re: Looking for info on Navy Man killed during WW II

Thanks Vegar. I have an account to ancestry.com and that's where I found his parents. Unfortunately not much else.

I looked up some of the other names at that second link and they all show up on the abmc list of men who were lost or buried at sea. So I'm assuming he served on an aircraft carrier and killed somehow and then buried at sea.

In case anyone's interested in this topic, I wanted to post an update.

I've been doing some more research and pieced together the following:

Lowrimore was a crewman aboard PBY-5A #48427 serving with VP-61 out of Attu in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. His pilot was Lt Frank A Woody. They were taking part in a search conducted for a missing plane of Bombing Squadron 135 and they too did not return. He received the Air Medal.

An all too common occurrence in that part of the world-consistently appalling weather and icy seas. RIP

Incidentally, the plane they were searching for was a PV-1 piloted by Lt Russell P Bone. It eventually turned out that the plane had problems and they diverted to Kamchatka. Bone and his crew were interred there by the Russians for seven months before finally being released with the crews of several other American aircraft.