Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Memphis Belle last mission

Article about: May 17th 1943 is taken as Memphis Belle's last mission over Europe, so just thought it would be nice to remember Robert Morgan and his men (and also Margaret Polke, and Stuka, why not?) Actu

JMM
    ?

Default Memphis Belle last mission

May 17th 1943 is taken as Memphis Belle's last mission over Europe, so just thought it would be nice to remember Robert Morgan and his men (and also Margaret Polke, and Stuka, why not?)

Actually Hell's Angels B-17 completed 25 combat missions before the Belle (May 13th 1943), becoming the first B-17 to complete the feat, however Morgan's plane (maybe because of his nickname and the documentary made), entered history.

After almost beeing destroyed, the plane was "saved" and went on static display in Memphis, Tenn., until October 2005. At that time, it was transported to the National Museum of the US Air Force where a huge restauration was made (I think it'll be finished this year).

Thanks JMM I didn't know about the Hells Angels fact

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Interesting JMM, thanks for that reminder. I know it was not the same aircraft but when they were making the film I used to see the B-17 "acting" as the Memphis belle flying over our Norfolk skies here in the UK ,it was sometimes accompanied by a couple of P-39(P-51, sorry) Mustangs and a camera crew aircraft. Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 05-18-2014 at 09:14 AM.

?

Good thread.

I believe the sally b was the plane used in the film and is on display at the imperial museum Duxford I have this many times.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Interesting JMM, thanks for that reminder. I know it was not the same aircraft but when they were making the film I used to see the B-17 "acting" as the Memphis belle flying over our Norfolk skies here in the UK ,it was sometimes accompanied by a couple of P-39 Mustangs and a camera crew aircraft. Leon.
    I don`t think I have ever seen a P-39 Mustang..?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Way to go JMM.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Interesting JMM, thanks for that reminder. I know it was not the same aircraft but when they were making the film I used to see the B-17 "acting" as the Memphis belle flying over our Norfolk skies here in the UK ,it was sometimes accompanied by a couple of P-39 Mustangs and a camera crew aircraft. Leon.
    P-39 airacobra
    P-51 Mustang
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Let us not forget it is also the 71st anniversary of the finest piece of aerial bombing history of WW2, if not of all time, Operation Chastise, the Dams Raid by 617 Squadron RAF on the night of the 16th/17th of May 1943.

Here's a famous press photo taken after the raid of Guy Gibson's crew boarding the aircraft ED932 'AJ-G'.

Memphis Belle last mission

L to r, Flight Lieutenant R.D. Trevor-Roper, Sergeant J.Pulford, Flight Sergeant G.A.Deering (Canadian), Pilot Officer F.M.Spafford (Australian), Flight Lieutenant R.E.G.Hutchison, Wing Commander Guy Gibson and Pilot Officer H.T.Taerum (Canadian)

Sadly, non of these men survived the war. Per Ardua Ad Astra.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

remember them all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast