Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More details for Arnhem Parachute Regiment Veteran

Article about: Hello Everyone, I've been trying to help a family friend in discovering some more info on his grandfather. He passed away a few years ago and his medals and paperwork have all been lost unfo

Default More details for Arnhem Parachute Regiment Veteran

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to help a family friend in discovering some more info on his grandfather. He passed away a few years ago and his medals and paperwork have all been lost unfortunately. They still have his original Red Beret, regimental badge plus a lovely brooch presented to his late wife during one of the commemorations in Holland a while back.

We have no idea what medals he'd been awarded.

He enlisted in the army under-age at just 17 in 1937. During the battle he suffered minor wounds but made it back home. He stayed in the army until just after the war (suffering a further injury from a mortar round during a training accident).

The info we have so far is as follows:

Sydney Harold Cooper (sometimes mis-spelt as 'Sidney')
    Parachute Regiment.
    Born: 9th April 1920. London.
    Died: 27th April 2003. Leicestershire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your friend can try applying to the MOD for his service records, but a certain amount of information is needed including his death certificate.

Try looking here.

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...ervice-records

And also try contacting these.

ParaData | A living history of the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

6012810 Cpl S Cooper 156 Battalion. Is this your man Friedland?

Steve

Quote by Airborne125 View Post
    6012810 Cpl S Cooper 156 Battalion. Is this your man Friedland?

Steve
    Steve,

Yes. We're pretty sure that's him. His relative says he was likely in the 156 Battalion. Based around Melton Mowbray before they left for Arnhem.

Thanks!

Apparently he also gave some interviews to an author writing a book on Arnhem a little while before he passed away, but we've no details on what the book was called nor the name of the writer.

There is a superb book called from Delhi to Arnhem the history of the 156 Bn Parachute Regiment. You will find some of the best Arnhem researchers in the following Facebook group they will give you lots of information;
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheBridgesToArnhem/

I have attached his original jump records of his initial Para course in 1943 at Kabrit in Egypt;

More details for Arnhem Parachute Regiment Veteran

FB,
    Most of the 4th Parachute brigade were in and around Melton Mowbray and Somerby before Operation Market Garden. Also the Polish Brigade were nearby around Stamford and Peterborough.

Steve

That's amazing Steve!

His daughter is here with me too (my girlfriend's aunt) while I've been on the forum, and to show her the scan of his jump records was just fantastic!! You should've seen her face!! I've also offered to order her a copy of the Delhi to Arnhem book you mentioned.

If anyone can lay their hands on his medal roll details at some point it'd be appreciated (though I think a request to the gov.uk site may be in order in the next week or two).

Seriously, thanks a million mate.

No problem FL.

Regards

Steve

FL,
    Would you like me to enquire on your behalf on the FB page Re Cpl Cooper 156 Bn?

Steve

Quote by Airborne125 View Post
    FL,
    Would you like me to enquire on your behalf on the FB page Re Cpl Cooper 156 Bn?

Steve
    Would you please? That would be great Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast