Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

My little piece of dorset ww2 history.

Article about: Have been meaning to upload this thread for a while.thought i would share this piece of ww2 dorset history with you guys,that being the sleepy airfield in East Dorset TARRANT RUSHTON.Its 30

Default My little piece of dorset ww2 history.

Have been meaning to upload this thread for a while.thought i would share this piece of ww2 dorset history with you guys,that being the sleepy airfield in East Dorset TARRANT RUSHTON.Its 30 minutes from me,and even though there's not a lot to see,the walk around the 3.8 mile perimeter track is still fully intact.and makes a good walk out with the kids.so are some of the original taxiways still solid.there's 2 C2 type hangers.1 Nissan hut,this airfield unlike so many postwar stayed open until 1980.original work started in 1942.became the home of 644 and 298 combined squadrons,The Glider Regiment,flying airspeed horsa gliders with major John Howard(Operation Deadstick)and also giant Hamilcars during operation TONGA and MARKET GARDEN, Dropping S.O.E agents behind enemy lines as well as SAS operatives.I've used google images as they seem to give a better perspective than my pics.for me this great airfield fully deserves its place in history that being TARRANT RUSHTON,regards minnie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My little piece of dorset ww2 history.   My little piece of dorset ww2 history.  

My little piece of dorset ww2 history.   My little piece of dorset ww2 history.  

My little piece of dorset ww2 history.   My little piece of dorset ww2 history.  

My little piece of dorset ww2 history.  
    Attached Images Attached Images My little piece of dorset ww2 history.  My little piece of dorset ww2 history.  My little piece of dorset ww2 history. 

?

Default Re: My little piece of dorset ww2 history.

Mr Minnie looks like an interesting site, thanks for putting the photos & info together, Chers Terry.

Default Re: My little piece of dorset ww2 history.

Thank you for showing these pics ! I love visiting WW2 airfields, there are many around where I live.

I am sure I sometimes see ghosts and hear merlins on the wind when visiting them!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem