Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My Pop's WW2 Photos past down to me

Article about: What a great story and one that I'm sure you will cherish forever. It is wonderful that you have these treasures that remind you of their love and his service. Perhaps I could give you a han

Default Re: My Pop's WW2 Photos past down to me

What a great story and one that I'm sure you will cherish forever. It is wonderful that you have these treasures that remind you of their love and his service. Perhaps I could give you a hand with locating your grandfathers service records and enlistment papers etc? A great percentage of Australian documents have now been digitized and are available for anyone to view. Let me know if I can help with anything, as I have found many interesting notes and documents relating to my Great Grandfather who fought in the First World War.

Best wishes,
    Josh

very lucky to have them thanks for showing. you should be able to find some info at ,australian war memorial.com.au then go to search person. i hope that will help you.

Excellent story Marc and even better photos.
    No wonder you are proud of him,he sounds like he was not only a good soldier but a good man as well.
    (In case you dont know if you go the Australian War Memorial website,you can search for him in the Nominal Rolls as well as obtain his service records )
    Cheers Mick.

Sorry Geelong i didnt see your post

?

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Classic Australians, No helmets, No shirts and allot of good blokes.
    Morris
    ....and not least AWESOME hats!

Thanks for posting these family pics.

Thanks so much guys. Yeah us Aussies are well known for being good blokes and up for a laugh and always willing to help anyone else in need and my pop was one of the true aussies. I looked up to him and have learnt alot from him

Quote by Aus der Traum View Post
    What a great story and one that I'm sure you will cherish forever. It is wonderful that you have these treasures that remind you of their love and his service. Perhaps I could give you a hand with locating your grandfathers service records and enlistment papers etc? A great percentage of Australian documents have now been digitized and are available for anyone to view. Let me know if I can help with anything, as I have found many interesting notes and documents relating to my Great Grandfather who fought in the First World War.

Best wishes,
    Josh
    Cheers Josh, i will get more info and let you know asap. Legend mate

Great photos Marc, you will find loads of info on in the national archives website, it is very comprehensive. You are certainly lucky to have such a fantastic photographic record of your grandfathers time in the military, I'm sure you'll look after them well and keep them for your kids. Great stuff mate!

Great pics, as the others have said the Nominal rolls are a wealth of information. You will find alot of info on his service there. Good luck with the search

Cheers
    Jason

?

Some great photos and history Marc !!

Many of the photos show the old 25 pdr Field Gun the standard gun of the British and Commonwealth forces during the war , it was a great piece of kit i was one of the last ones to train on it in the late 70's.

Looks like he also may have been on the 5.5 Medium guns as well.

Always nice to see the history of a fellow Gunner,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Great pics and wonderful to have that connection to the war captured in photographs.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast