Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My Pop's WW2 Photos past down to me

Article about: What a great story and one that I'm sure you will cherish forever. It is wonderful that you have these treasures that remind you of their love and his service. Perhaps I could give you a han

Default My Pop's WW2 Photos past down to me

My Pop ( Walter Clark) or Wally was one of the best men you could meet. Never had a bad word to say about anyone and was the best grandad a kid like me could ask for. Even through his last days battling cancer he fought to the end. R.I.P Poppa.

The story of my nanna and Poppa is such a great story. He proposed to her in a letter from the back of an army truck, the writing was all over the show because of how bumpy the ride was and they were together until the end.

After he passed i was handed his WW2 album with images of him firing the big artillery guns. he used to tell me that while firing the guns his ears often would bleed. Im suprised he still had his hearing all his years after.

Around 3 years ago my nanna started to get symptoms of dementa or althimers and it got alot worse over the last 2 years. I asked if i could have the images and that i would look after them with my life and she said yes not a problem. A month or two later i went around to see her and give her a hand with odd jobs around the house and asked her about the photo album. By this time the demnture was really bad and she them says to me "I just took the photo album to the thrift shop" I seriously just about had a heart attack and i tryed my best not to show how angry i was. I couldnt blame her but this was so important to me and i couldnt belive she just handed it to them. I drove strait to that thrift shop but they were closed. Through the window i could see alot of stuff and i was temped to break in to get them back but obvioulsy didnt.
    I rang my mum to tell her and she was just as worryed. The next day i had a call from my mum and it was a call i was waiting for. What had happend was my nanna through out the album yes but she took all the pictures out and had them in a box for me including his papers when he signed up for the army and ones when he left and alot more!!!!
    I was so happy!!!
    Im not to sure where he was and what he did in WW2
    Im prety sure he was up in Darwin when it was bombed but not to sure. I will find out more when i go though the papers.
    One thing i noticed while going through all the images was little noted on the back. My pop would send my nanny an image of himself while away and she would send ones back. Very special and brought tears to my eyes.
    My nanna is now in aged care and unfortunatly doesnt remember me, its so very hard but unfortunatly thats life. I love them both and wil some day be with them.
    Thought i would share them with you all. I know that he wouldnt mind if he were still here.

IMG_0002 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

My pop WW2 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

IMG_0011 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

IMG_0006 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

IMG_0005 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

IMG_0023 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

IMG_0030 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

IMG_0029 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

Default Re: My Pop's WW2 Photos past down to me

This is really nice.
    Thank you for showing us.
    chris

Thanks Chris, my pleasure mate

I really like the hats, and cats thanks for sharing

Classic Australians, No helmets, No shirts and allot of good blokes.
    Morris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast