Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A mystery American unit.

Article about: So, I had some free time as of late (been furlouged from my job for several weeks) and I stopped by an antique shop. Hanging on the wall was a photo of an American army unit from the second

Default A mystery American unit.

So, I had some free time as of late (been furlouged from my job for several weeks) and I stopped by an antique shop. Hanging on the wall was a photo of an American army unit from the second world war era. It has no unit information on it or in the photo. I didn't buy it, but have some names as it listed everyone in the image. Perhaps someone can help put these men with a unit so the image is properly marked.
    Here are some names from each "group";
    Officers
    1st Lieutenant John E. Cleary - Commanding Officer
    2nd Lieutenant J.J. Fougerousse, JR. - Executive Officer
    2nd LT. O.G. Penzavecchia
    2nd LT. V.E. Paulson
    Cadre
    M/SGT Michael Pendriss
    S/SGT Victor A. Cichosz
    1st/SGT James E. McDermott
    T/SGT Wesley A. Amazeen
    T/SGT Engelbert E. Warzinsky
    T/4th Harvey W. Hockenberry
    Cpl. Eamand C. Naaktgeboren
    Cpl. Adolph J. Winter
    Pfc. Louis E. Anschuetz
    Trainees
    Hardridge, Shawney J.
    Golagiovanni, Anthony
    Hrynyshyn, Stephen P.
    Ferrara, John F.
    Efaw, Eli J.
    Ahpeatone, Elmer
    Hinkley, William J.
    North, Walter J.
    Yarbrough, John M.

There are many more names. The guy wants too much for it, in my opinion. Maybe someone can help me find out the unit depicted?
    Thanks for having a look.
    Last edited by carpediem; 06-06-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Hello carpediem,

I have searched on Ancestry and found the following re Wesley A Amazeen and a few others

Wesley A Amazeen, Born 8th April 1917, lived in Massachusetts, enlisted 16th January 1941 in Natick, Quartermaster Corps, Sergeant, Architect in civilian life Died 17th August 1988.

Stephen Peter Hrynyshyn, born 30th December 1913, Wilmington, Delaware, employed by Joseph Bancroft & Sons, Textile manufacturers No Branch Assignment. (Draft Card Info.).

Eamand Cornielius Naaktgeboren, born 5th April 1921, Pella, Marion, Iowa, Registered 16 February 1942, Unempolyed (Draft Card Info.).

Louis E Anschuetz, Born 10th February 1921 Pittsburgh, enlisted 6th August 1942, Civilian Occupation machinists apprentices.

Englebert E Warzinsky, born 4th June 1921 Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania, Draft Card lists Branch as Infantry.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thanks Andrzej! I have had no luck finding anything on the web about these guys. I wonder if it is a basic training picture. It must be a smaller level unit as the CO is just a 1st Lieutenant. The photography studio that took the image was located in Petersburg, Virginia.

1st Lt Joseph John Fougerousse late of US Army World War II passed away in 1978.
    https://images.findagrave.com/photos...768eba715.jpeg

Hello Carpediem,

Joseph John Fougerousse Born in 1923 Lived in Arkansas, enlisted 24th February 1943 Camp Lee.

Harvey Wilson Hockenberry, born 17th February 1917 Perry, Pennsylvania, enlisted 26th December 1940, Released 27th August 1945.

Eli Jacob Efaw, born 1st February 1916, Marion, West Virginia, Died 30th April 1974.

One I have found carpediem, that may be of some help Elmer Ahpeatone, Native American, born 4th October 1926, Mountain View, Oklahoma, Registration date 6th October 1944 Mountain View, Kiowa, Oklahoma. Enlistment date 19th March 1945, Released Date 29th December 1946. Died 28th February 1977.

Best wishes

Andrzej

So this image must have been taken close to the end of the war.

Hi Can you show the image of the unit,

Its coming up as an ebay listing of plastic soldiers?

cheers

Phill

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi Can you show the image of the unit,

Its coming up as an ebay listing of plastic soldiers?

cheers

Phill
    Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the image of the men. I did take pictures of the roster though.

A mystery American unit.
    A mystery American unit.A mystery American unit.
    A mystery American unit.
    A mystery American unit.
    A mystery American unit.

Mention of Fort Lee, Virginia, now Fort Gregg-Adams; this post is and was the home of the US Army Quartermaster Corps. Reference to "Cadre" and "Trainees" probably refers to individuals assigned to a QM training unit. The Quartermaster Corps Museum is on post, might be a good place to start.