Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

need help with figuring out some stuff about a wwii vet

Article about: i was trying to figure out this vets unit and branch of the military he served for all i have for a name is V.G. Petrone and the serial number 0-402390 any help is much appreciated

Default need help with figuring out some stuff about a wwii vet

i was trying to figure out this vets unit and branch of the military he served for all i have for a name is V.G. Petrone and the serial number 0-402390 any help is much appreciated

Default Re: need help with figuring out some stuff about a wwii vet

i don't know if this is the same guy, but there is a Vincent G. Patrone, PFC US MARINE CORPS, interred at Calverton National Cemetery, Suffolk County, New York.

the spelling isn't exactly right, i just noticed so probably this is not your guy. i'll not delete the post, apologize for the error, and look a little more for you.

OK... this could be your vet:

"Birth: Feb. 10, 1916
    Death: Oct. 18, 2006

Victor Guy Petrone, passed away peacefully in his residency's health center at Villa Gardens, Pasadena, on October 18, 2006.

Vic was born in New York on February 10, 1916 to Italian immigrants. He moved to Shaker Heights, Ohio with his parents and siblings, where in his senior year in high school he was named Shaker Heights Outstanding Young Man of the Year.

He enrolled in Brown University where he was active in his fraternity Alpha Delta Phi and many student groups, while also lettering in tennis, basketball, and football (team captain). Upon graduation with a BA in economics he worked with his Dad.

However, like so many of his peers during that time, he enlisted in the U.S. Army, first joining the Machine Gun Troop of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment and then in 1942 the Army Air Corp as a 2nd Lieutenant.

From a student officer to pilot trainer, he became a fighter pilot during World War II, flying P-51's in the European theater. After retur ning home, Vic went to visit his closest friend, Chuck Doty, only to learn Chuck had died from injuries sustained at The Battle of the Bulge.

Immediately, he made sure Chuck's widow Jean and his godson, Charles (the little "Trooper"), and newborn David were comforted. This friendship blossomed into love, he married Jean and adopted both boys.

Soon after, Vic set sites on California, settling his family at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains in Altadena. In 1949, Vic became a manufacturer's representative in the toy industry. He had a passion for selling. He loved children and he knew the benefits toys could make in the life of a child.

He helped establish the Western States Toy & Hobby Representatives Association in 1976 and was its founding president and later chairman. His active toy career lasted 38 years, but he maintained an interest always, especially after his son Jim joined him in 1974.

Victor G. Petrone & Son remains active to this day. Retirement from the toy business in 1987 then allowed Vic to d edicate more of his time to other causes. He tutored at Burbank Elementary School and served as an elder at Westminster Presbyterian Church.

Organizations in which he participated included The Patron Saints Foundation, Pasadena; The United Way, San Gabriel Valley Region; The Scripps Home, Pasadena; USC's Andrus Gerontology Center; Rotary International, Altadena Club; and The Wellness Community-Foothills.

In each of these, Vic took leadership roles as committee head, president, and/or board chairman. This in cluded his membership at Annandale Country Club in Pasadena.

Golf became his sport of choice and another passion. He enjoyed its competition and camaraderie. These accomplishments never overshadowed his humility. Vic Petrone stood for everything good in life. He was devoted to his family and friends and was fully engaged in his business and his community. He was a man of the highest integrity and principles, always positive, even after suffering a serious stroke on December 30, 1999.

He loved to connect with people of all generations, always curious to learn more about others. Those who knew Vic, never stopped learning from him. He was a giant of a man.

Vic leaves behind his beloved wife Jean of 59 years, his sons David and Jim, his daughter Tori Hutchins, his granddaughters Heather, Keli, Lindsay, Carly, and Amy, as well as his sister Mary Louise. His son Trooper passed away in 1990.

Burial:
    Unknown"

VICTOR G. PETRONE & SON

VICTOR G. PETRONE & SON primarily manufactures/wholesales products in the following categories:

Balloons

To see a list of other manufacturers and wholesalers
    who carry similar products, click on a link above.

300 ROLYN PLACE ARCADIA CA 91007
    Tel: 626-445-6455
    Fax: 626-445-3633

thanks so much for all this information

of course. i think it has a good shot of being him.

if it is, please let me know if you are so inclined. i would be great if i have been helpful to you.