Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help Finding Korean War Service Record Of Grandfather

Article about: Hey All, Recently my grandfather was diagnosed with dementia so his memory is gone. All of his knowledge including that of how to trip a Garand, especially his actions in the war are virtual

Default Need Help Finding Korean War Service Record Of Grandfather

Hey All,
    Recently my grandfather was diagnosed with dementia so his memory is gone. All of his knowledge including that of how to trip a Garand, especially his actions in the war are virtually unexistent. I do however have some paper work on him. Unfortunately (and this is the kicker), it's all about his Air Force service. I do know he did his basic at Ft. Knox and was deployed to Korea in March of 1952 until he was moved to Japan where he was discharged in Febuary of 1955. The only lead I have on his service was a paper saying "Most Important Service": Co "A" 6th TK BN (90 mm)(Korea).
    Name: Franklin D. Orwig
    Service Number: 13 442 344.
    If anyone has any ideas or information on where to get started it would be a big help.

Default Re: Need Help Finding Korean War Service Record Of Grandfather

Have you tried the National Personnel Records Center? Online, GOOGLE: EvetRecs, and put all his information in the form when applying. They may have his service records there in NPRC. I applied for both my grandfathers and only 1 of there records were found. The one whom I have posted for info on the forum because NPRC claims his files are among the ones destroyed in the 1973 fire they had.

If you need any help, I will be glad to answer PM's or E-mails and guide you with NPRC and the VA.

Here is a LINK on one of the 6th Tank BN units.

http://www.ricarangers.org/docs/BioS...BioLy****m.pdf
    DOG CO, 6th TANK Bn....

KOREAN WAR CASUALTIES, 1st Cavalry Division, 6th Tank Bn, LETTER ''
    LIST OF KIA's from 6th TANK Bn.....

Teddy