Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Operation Market-Garden

Article about: The fun is gone, now most of the veterans are paaed away or not able to make it anymore, remember some 20 years or so ago, we stay in the bar until late after mignight listening to there sto

?

Default Re: Operation Market-Garden

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    The II SS Panzer Corps was sent to Arnhem and Eindoven for refit not R&R after being decimated during the Falaise Gap debarcle.They had lost most of their armour and heavy weapons during their retreat from France.Maybe this is one of the reasons the intel was rejected.The Brits were aware of the fact the SS corps was there but may have assumed it was a non effective fighting force.
    Monty wanted a quick end to the war and this was his chance to cross the Rhine and enter Germany in 1944.
    I feel Monty has always looked upon as a poor European theatre commander by the US due to his "lack of aggression"but his logic was simple.His men had been at war since 1939 and he was not going to throw away their lives so close to the end game.This op was the exception, bold and aggressive, maybe to bold.
    Incisive comment Dave
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

4md
    ?

hello, i just found this thread and remembered i had a few relics i bought years ago from Holland. The seller said he dug them from the trois ponts area and that they were 82nd airborne relics. He also said the parachute section was possibly a relic from marketgarden. but who knows? i was more interested in the bullets at the time

regards Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	392173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	323.3 KB 
ID:	392171  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	392172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	324.3 KB 
ID:	392170  

Very interesting discussion and militaria, guys!

If the II SS Panzer Corps had lost most of its equipment in the Falaise Gap, where did they get all of the very heavy armor that they used to make 'Hell's Highway' so hellish? Was it all brand new equipment?

Monty was not all too blame. Boy browning had a big say in the operation going ahead, evewith all the intel.

As an aside, ive just picked a photo album, i think owned by an airborne soldier, with pics of lathbury's wedding. Manynof the weel known names apear to be there. When i venture back to the scanner may load up a couple.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Very interesting discussion and militaria, guys!

If the II SS Panzer Corps had lost most of its equipment in the Falaise Gap, where did they get all of the very heavy armor that they used to make 'Hell's Highway' so hellish? Was it all brand new equipment?
    Most of the heavy armour used by both Hohenstaufen and Frundsberg SS Div.was equipment saved from France.They had not been in Holland long enough for the refit to begin(less than a month).Frundsberg was in the process of transfering it,s surviving equipment over to Hohenstaufen when the drop began on the 17th Sep.Hohenstaufen was only around Brigade strength (around 2500)by this time.The greatest asset II SS Panzer Corps had was it's men were trained in Anti Airbourne tactics whilst working up in 1943.These tactics were quite decisive during the landings as they enabled the German field commanders to use their own initiative and act with out orders from higher up the command chain.Small mobile and flexible "Kampfgrupen" operated with a fair degree of autonomy and were very effective.
    The problem XXX corps had was their attack was down a single narrow road,easy to defend and set ambushes.AT guns were very effective in this role,low profile and easy to hide.Hit the first few tanks and the column stops until the defensive position is neutralised.This happened over and over along the road in.
    Here's a good link re force make up on both sides.
    Order of Battle

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234