Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Operation MARKET GARDEN arial photos? (or wishful thinking! - Help please)

Article about: Hello, I recently purchased 27 original WW2 arial reconnaissance photographs for a few pounds and on closer inspection I found that they are mainly dated the 17th September 1944 (the other f

Default Operation MARKET GARDEN aerial photos? (or wishful thinking! - Help please)

Hello, I recently purchased 27 original WW2 arial reconnaissance photographs for a few pounds and on closer inspection I found that they are mainly dated the 17th September 1944 (the other few are dated the 14th and the 20th Sept 1944). Some of the photos have bridges or buildings marked out others just show fields and farm houses (I have had a good look with with a magnifying glass and cannot see anything that resembles gliders, shelling, fighting, etc).
    I appriciate that the photo's could be from anywhere in Europe (including Britain) and whilst it's probably to much to wish that they are anything to do with Market Garden I was wondering whether any members maybe able to identify any of the places. I have spent hours on Google maps but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack!
    I have attached the images with identifable landmarks (the others are of fields and farmhouses), like the one with the large oval (memorial?) garden in the centre and the costal pictures of the unusual harbour with long harbour walls/cobb/mole (this harbour appears to have a major train yard on the harbour front).
    P.S. the white marks on the images are mainly clouds and not camera flash!
    Last edited by Grimebox; 04-27-2011 at 05:01 PM.

?

Default Re: Operation MARKET GARDEN arial photos? (or wishful thinking! - Help please)

They look to be of coastal positions to me. ... None stand out as MG.

Gary J.

Default Re: Operation MARKET GARDEN arial photos? (or wishful thinking! - Help please)

I would agree with Gary.

Cheers, Ade.

Knokke
    ?

Definitely not showing any of the landing areas of the Market-garden operation. The date being the D-Day of Market-Garden does'nt mean there is necessarily a connection. Other operations where taking place in Belgium and Holland. It might be related to operations around Maastricht or Valkensburg. The landscape shown on the picture is consistent with pictures taken in Holland, but it could also be pictures taken over Belgium or Germany.

This site has a lot of WWII GSGS maps. Maybe browsing trough them will help you finding where the pictures where taken?

7th Survey Troop dispositions from 25 June 1944 to the 1 Aug 1944

Many thanks, I'll have a look!