Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Pegwell bay's role in the battle of britain?

Article about: Good afternoon, I'm not too sure if this is the right place for this post but i really would like to find out about pegwell bay's role during the second world war. For those who have not hea

Default Pegwell bay's role in the battle of britain?

Good afternoon, I'm not too sure if this is the right place for this post but i really would like to find out about pegwell bay's role during the second world war.
    For those who have not heard of pegwell bay it is on the south east coast of england near Manston airport.

Im interested to know the history of this place because I have been shown military finds such as artillery cap badges and UXO's found on this beach. My grandparents have told me that damaged fighters and bombers would release their payload before landing at manston airport. They also mentioned that the whole area was restricted and you could not go anywhere near it.
    In my attempt at finding out about the bay i have came across numerous articles on other forums stating that under the sand/mud are the remains of a spitfire and a lancaster, If anybody has info on these that would be really good.

If anybody knows a way I could find out more about Pegwell bay or the surrounding areas it would be really good if you could please let me know.

Many thanks.

James

Default Re: Pegwell bay's role in the battle of britain?

I lived in the area in area in the 1980's, Margate to be precise, there were storys of crashed planes in Pegwell bay that could be seen sticking out of the water at very low-tides.

Thanks shadow, i have also heard this. Living on the cliff in ramsgate i often take a look but ive never yet seen anything.

Thankyou

James

Bit of an odd coincidence but we have just been discussing a German plane that came down in the same area on facebook
    "This Bf109 E4 was brought down nr. RAF Manston, 16/9/40, the pilot was Uffz. Hans-Georg Schulte" Douglas Banks
    Also been chatting about a Heinkel Bomber shot down on the airfield at Manston.
    Barnes Wallis used the base at Manston to test his bouncing bomb on the coast at nearby Reculver prior to the Dambusters raid.

Thanks again shadow. They have a piece of I think a prototype bouncing bomb in the hurricane and spitfire memorial museum.

Very interesting about the German planes, I will have to look into it further

Thankyou

James

I was stunned by the drawings of gremlins seen by pilots in the spitfire museum at Manston
    Only other bit of info that I can think of is that I was told that the planes were resting in Pegwell bay and couldn't be rescued due to the sinking sand in the area. Not sure if that helps, but its all I can think of at the moment. Best of luck with your search.

Thankyou shadow very helpful mate

James