Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pictures taken at Arromanches, Normandy, after June 6, 1944

Article about: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=931 Hello, I have inherited from my grandfather, who took over the local photoshop after 1945, a few hundred photographs taken at Arromanches,

?

Default Pictures taken at Arromanches, Normandy, after June 6, 1944

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=931

Hello,

I have inherited from my grandfather, who took over the local photoshop after 1945, a few hundred photographs taken at Arromanches, Normandy, in 1944 and would gladly share them with other members in exchange for identification of the soldiers and sailors pictured on them.

Didier

Default Re: Pictures taken at Arromanches, Normandy, after June 6, 1944

Mon Dieu Didier,ce sont de pures merveilles tes photos!!Je pense que les membres de ce forum vont etre comme des enfants!!
    Gosh Didier,your pics are pure jewels!I do believe that the members of this forum will be like kids!!

Can't help with any identifications but those are some fantastic portraits! Love it, thanks so much for showing!

Wow, what a stunning collection of photographs, so many good ones that it's impossible to pick any out.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

wow. your grandfather really had a way of consistently catching the sitter's character and personality. these portraits really have a kind of immediacy to them. very cool.

he had talent.

really nice portraits.

?

Actually the pictures were not taken by my grandfather - I suppose that he found them when he took over the photoshop, shortly after the end of the war. I have a whole lot more to show... My aim would be to able to know more about the people pictured on these photos. I was lucky enough to "inherit" them but I do think they must be shown and shared with as many people as possible, as a tribute to the men and women who came over to Normandy to help free Europe from nazi rule...

Regards,

Didier

?

Very evocative. Thank you for sharing

Swiss Roll
    ?

Hello Sir, my father, Douglas Gordon Wright served at Arromanches diring D-Day. He served in the Royal Navy and worked on the Mullberry Harbour. More specifically he took part in the Pre-deployment trials conducted in the Garliston area of SW Scotland during 1933 and of course the actuaul deployment at Arromanches of the 'Swiss Roll' light floating roadway.

If you look at the arial photograph of Bullbery B, look on the extreem right (west end) of the photo and you can see a very thin, fine line from the sea to the beach, this is the 'Swiss Roll' inplace (this was the only one that was deployed). It was only capable of supporting vehicles up to 7.5 tons and men on foot.

Sadly, having looked through your wonderful collection of photo's none include my father.

Yours faithfully, Alan Wright, Doncaster, UK.

Hi Didier,

What evocative imagery! ....... but sadly as the years go on, these men will be known only to God. I know what my grandfather looked like as a young man but my kids only knew him as an old one. I feel any identification hopes would lie outside this forum - and maybe a magazine may run an article on your findings / story as a personal interest one?

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi Didier,
    Fantastic pictures, if you come across any pictures of guys from the South Staffs, 59div, i may be able to help.

Hangarman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast