Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

RAF navigator reaserch

Article about: Hello all I was recently talking to a good friend and they unfortunately gave me the sad news that there grandfather had passed away, they had spoken about him a few times in the past very f

Default RAF navigator reaserch

Hello all
    I was recently talking to a good friend and they unfortunately gave me the sad news that there grandfather had passed away, they had spoken about him a few times in the past very fondly but had never mentioned to me before until yesterday that he had trained to be a navigator near the end of the Second World War. After talking about it for a while I offered to try my best at finding a bit out about him so that her family could have a better idea of his role in the war. From what I know at the moment is his full name which is Sidney George Scrivener and he joined up later on as he was born in 1923 and that he trained to be a navigator. However this confused me a bit as I would have thought that if you had trained to be a navigator you would have been expected to serve at least some length of time? I am not also to clear on wether a navigator would have been specifically used in roles in bomber command or wether they saw use elsewhere in the RAF. I've done some reaserch into the possible aircraft he would have been trained to use Halifax, Stirling etc but I still need to pin point them to late war use. But I'm not altogether sure on exactly where he would have trained that late in the war and what would have happened after that, so if anybody on this forum could help me out here with even the tiniest piece of information About training for navigators at this time or I would greatly appreciate it, i have been told that she maybe able to ask her aunt for some more information and maybe even pictures of him so anything information I am given I will post on this thread to keep things up to date

A huge amount of thanks
    Stanley

Stanley

Has your friend got their grandfathers service records - could be a good start.

RAF Community - Request for Information from Service Records

Sorry for not replying sooner, as far as I'm aware it is not in there possession but I have forwarded the page to her to show her family. However I've been given some really great information From her visit to her Aunt that had some information/pictures about her Grandad. Apparently He flew a Mosquitos and apparently he crewed was one of the last ones flown, as he trained in 1942-1946. Also that His sister actually got chicken pocks so he had to stay home and look after her, but it turns out that if he had gone to his training he would've died as the plane he would've been in crashed and killed everyone in it! And he did the majority of his pilot training in Canada
    But even better she's sent me some photos of her grandad which are quite useful as it might help somebody with a trained eye determine his squadron. Also there's a few neat pictures of a MK3 flight compass her grandfather used.

Again if anybody has any information they would share with me based on these pictures if would be of great help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF navigator reaserch   RAF navigator reaserch  

RAF navigator reaserch   RAF navigator reaserch