Research on a Vietnam vet (name inside the M1C I have)

Article about: Recently I bought a Vietnam war M1C Paratrooper helmet. Inside was the name of it's wartime owner - Robert Byrd, along with what I assume to be his serial number. Not being an American mysel

?

Post Research on a Vietnam vet (name inside the M1C I have)

Recently I bought a Vietnam war M1C Paratrooper helmet. Inside was the name of it's wartime owner - Robert Byrd, along with what I assume to be his serial number. Not being an American myself, I don't know of an easy way to locate any form of military record that Robert may have, I would really appreciate the help as interests me in a historical sense, and in accurately dating the helmet! (I also have another thread in Allied helmets with proper detailed photo's of the helmet if you fancy a look)

Ok, what I know:
    Robert Louis Byrd was born in 1942(or 43, I cant remember honestly) and died on Feb. 26 2009 at the age of 66. He was a native Namsemond County, Virginia & married to Mary Agnes J Byrd. He served in the 82nd Airborne.

Any help would be appreciated! (I did look on ancestry.com and found a photo of him as a child, and a photo of him in his later years - kind of creepy by me lol)
    Attached is a photo of the helmet interior (there is a better close up photo on my helmet post)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	506142547.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	995425  

?

I don't know what the forum rule on double posts are - but I honestly would really like to know if I am at a dead end here or if it is really possible for me to find some sort of military record?

If the serial number begins with RA then its Vietnam era.

?

By the Mitchell liner it already seems to be from mid 1965 (date matching with cover's serial no.) I'm more interested in now in actually finding more out about the man himself, where in Vietnam he may have served - for how long etc.