Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Researching an Unknown Relative! Air Corp

Article about: To make a long story short, I have a distant cousin (same last name) who owns a restaurant and pizzeria. I try not to be that relative who always shows up to his restaurant asking for a hand

Default Researching an Unknown Relative! Air Corp

To make a long story short, I have a distant cousin (same last name) who owns a restaurant and pizzeria. I try not to be that relative who always shows up to his restaurant asking for a hand-out, so I rarely go there (although his restaurant is very popular in our area and the food is great!).

The other day, I was in the area and decided to stop by for a quick bite. Without announcing to his staff that I am a relative, I bought a slice of pizza and was paying and about to leave. Above the register I spotted this photo:

I just had to ask about the photo, so I asked if my cousin was available. He came out of the kitchen and we were able to catch up with each other a little. I asked him about the photo and he said his grandfather is sitting in the center of the photo. He was also kind enough to give me a copy of the photo. Unfortunately, he knows nothing about his grandfather's time in the service.

Would anyone be able to help me find out more about this unknown relative of mine? His name is: Sam Rosario Trocino.

Here is his partial service record: NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION!

Default Re: Researching an Unknown Relative! Air Corp

Any help?

A flight mechanic perhaps?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    A flight mechanic perhaps?
    That's what I assumed, but I'd like to know as many specifics as possible. What unit, where he served, etc.

I wish you luck on finding out more, there was a fire at the St. Louis VA records building in 1973 that destroyed some 16 million service records. I have my grandfathers service number aswell, but it does no good as the file does not exist anymore.

Quote by sunsetIE View Post
    I wish you luck on finding out more, there was a fire at the St. Louis VA records building in 1973 that destroyed some 16 million service records. I have my grandfathers service number aswell, but it does no good as the file does not exist anymore.
    Thanks for the kind words! I really don't know where to go on from here...

Well. I felt the same way about my grandfather. Until I found his uniform unit pictures and some military German medals. If you have anything tangible (other than the photo) I can gladly help!

Greetings,

Appears he spent a year in the CBI as a Crew Chief with the 14th Air Force. The American Volunteer Group (AVG) (The original "Flying Tigers") were disbanded on 04 JUL 42 and in March of 1943 the 14th Air Force was stood up. The 14th AF adopted a slightly modified flying tiger's logo and too, referred to themselves as the "Flying Tigers." I point this out because in the 1947 dated engagement's announcement it mentions his one year of service with the "Flying Tigers," which by the time he was done with his mechanic's training was actually the 14th AF (i.e. no longer the AVG).

If I wanted to know more, I'd search 14th AF sources as there may be a document showing which specific unit he was assigned to. I do not have any knowledge of what online 14th AF sources are actually available, but that would be the next step. No need for further questions to me, I will now gracefully bow out

You are most welcome,

V/r Lance

P.S. I wonder if his real middle name was actually Richard or was this just a newspaper's mistake.

Double click on images to enlarge.

Nice piece of work Lance.