Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Searching for a sword, possibly Filipino

Article about: I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place, but I didn't see a sub-forum for the Philippines. I'm trying to find a sword for my uncle. He's very sick with cancer, and he told me that his fat

Default Searching for a sword, possibly Filipino

I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place, but I didn't see a sub-forum for the Philippines.

I'm trying to find a sword for my uncle. He's very sick with cancer, and he told me that his father had a sword that he brought back from WWII. It was stolen after his father died, and he's been trying to find it (with the help of the internet). After some searching he found this on Ebay. He told me it's apparently a Filipino Hunting Knife, but when he got it, it was smaller than what his father had, even though it looked just like what his father had. Here are some pictures I took of it (sorry if the quality is bad, I was taking them on my phone). Also, I put a regular sized toothbrush next to it for comparison.

If anyone knows what it is, so I can try to find this, I would really appreciate it. He doesn't care about the price, he just wants to have it, since it's very sentimental to him. And I'd like to try to find it before he gets any worse in his health. Thank you

Edit: Sorry about the bottom two pictures...I thought I had deleted them

Searching for a sword, possibly FilipinoSearching for a sword, possibly FilipinoSearching for a sword, possibly FilipinoSearching for a sword, possibly FilipinoSearching for a sword, possibly FilipinoSearching for a sword, possibly FilipinoSearching for a sword, possibly FilipinoSearching for a sword, possibly FilipinoSearching for a sword, possibly FilipinoSearching for a sword, possibly FilipinoSearching for a sword, possibly Filipino
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Searching for a sword, possibly Filipino   Searching for a sword, possibly Filipino  

Default Re: Searching for a sword, possibly Filipino

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, and I hope you end up finding what you're searching for. Don't expect this to be much help since I am not a collector of these knives, but the item you have does look Filipino in design. The blade and sheath also show the wear that I would expect. Is your uncle 100% sure the handle, blade, and sheath of this knife you posted are all identical to the one his father owned? It would probably be pretty difficult if not impossible to find an exact match to the souvenir his father brought back. However, there are a lot of handmade Filipino knives from this period that were given to soldiers after the war, so you should be able to find something similar. Here is an example of a WWII Period knife made in the Philippines for a returning soldier:

Searching for a sword, possibly Filipino

It is from Liongate Arms & Armour, he may have a few more as well.

Corey

Thanks for the response. Before I went back to school I was showing him pictures of similar swords like the one that I showed you, and he is dead set on the fact that the knife he has is like the one his father had. He knows that the whole thing is metal (including the hilt). I have a feeling I may have to find a blade smith

You may try looking at some, Talwar swords.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks for the tip, but that's not really what he was looking for. My uncle passed away last night, but I'm still going to look around for it, since his son is keeping his knives and other personal items. Thanks for the help to those who posted/post.

Edit: If I could narrow down what kind of filipino knife/sword I would be looking for, then that would really help with my searching

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I am truly sorry to hear of your uncles passing. You have my condolances.
    I have been collecting and looking at knives and swords since about 1980. I even have a few of the miniatures that I created published in magazines. I can not ever recall seeing a sword with these features before, although certainly of that type of origin.
    I wish you luck in your search.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)