Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

St.Nazaire Charioteer R.W. (Bill) Bannister has Passed, Sad News.

Article about: Very sad news this week that St.Nazaire veteran R.W. (Bill) Bannister has passed away , I did hear on Tuesday but have delayed this until now. So near to the 75th Anniversary of the Raid. Re

Default St.Nazaire Charioteer R.W. (Bill) Bannister has Passed, Sad News.

Very sad news this week that St.Nazaire veteran (RN MGB 314 ) R.W. (Bill) Bannister has passed away , I did hear on Tuesday but have delayed this until now. So near to the 75th Anniversary of the Raid.

I will be in St.Nazaire in a few weeks, there are now only 2 Commando Veteran's remaining from the Raid. I will not mention names but I am sure anyone with an interest in the raid will know who they are.

Rest in Peace Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture St.Nazaire Charioteer R.W. (Bill) Bannister has Passed, Sad News.   St.Nazaire Charioteer R.W. (Bill) Bannister has Passed, Sad News.  

St.Nazaire Charioteer R.W. (Bill) Bannister has Passed, Sad News.   St.Nazaire Charioteer R.W. (Bill) Bannister has Passed, Sad News.  

Just noticed this post, just been reading Robert Lyman's book on the raid "Into the jaws of death" (which incidently I recommend as a fast moving read).
    A stunning audacious raid, incredible heroism, should be made into a movie.

Hello Anderson,

The film the "Gift Horse" starring Trevor Howard as Lieutenant Commander Hugh Algernon Fraser commanding Officer of HMS Ballantrae tells the story based on H.M.S.Campbeltown and the St. Nazaire Raid. Also stars Richard Attenborough.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Just noticed this post, just been reading Robert Lyman's book on the raid "Into the jaws of death" (which incidently I recommend as a fast moving read).
    A stunning audacious raid, incredible heroism, should be made into a movie.
    Yes extremely brave men indeed. Standing in the Normandie Dock itself really brings it home.

There was talk of a film, a production company are involved but the project has stalled at the moment due to funding issues

Cheers