Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Tracing my Grand-Fathers service years

Article about: Hello to everyone: I am currently conducting researches about my Grand-Father service years My Grand-Father was born in Bratian, Polska in 1904 We can imagine he did serve first amoung Polis

Default Tracing my Grand-Fathers service years

Hello to everyone:

I am currently conducting researches about my Grand-Father service years
    My Grand-Father was born in Bratian, Polska in 1904

We can imagine he did serve first amoung Polish armed forces in his early twenties as it was mandatory at that time?
    - How can I have confirmation?

In 1939 when the 2nd WW burst he was allready living in France
    - How can I start tracing him since the only things I have is afew photos in unifiorm and a paper-form that was kept in family his Certificate of Demobilization from Calais dated May 1947?
    All advices would be very much appreciated

Hello Anastazy,

Many thanks for your post, with regards to your Grandfather, I would write a letter to the Polish Army Records Centre address details below :

Central Military Archives
    ul. Czerwonych Beretów 124
    00-910 Warsaw-Rembertów
    Poland.

With regards to your Grandfathers service during WW2, unfortunately the British Ministry of Defence now charge for this service and would require photocopies of certain documents. The link to there website is below, if you decide to go down this avenue be sure to ask for copies of all documentation that they have, otherwise you will just receive either a 1 or 2 page letter detailing outline information, i.e. Date and place of Birth, Parents Names, service from and to etc.

Get a copy of military service records: Apply for the records of someone who's deceased - GOV.UK.

I wish you all the very best of luck in your search and please let us know how you get on

Best wishes

Andrzej