Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Unknown Soldiers Knife

Article about: I recently found a picket knife in a fox hole that overlooks the town of Sefferweich. The knife has an engraving in it, S.E.G. to E.D.. I would like to find who the knife belonged to and mai

Default Unknown Soldiers Knife

I recently found a picket knife in a fox hole that overlooks the town of Sefferweich. The knife has an engraving in it, S.E.G. to E.D.. I would like to find who the knife belonged to and mail it to the surviving relatives. All I found was that the 4th Armored Division captured the town. Would they dig foxholes? I also am having trouble finding rosters for the 4th Armored Division. I could use some guidance.

Thanks.

?

Could you post the knife

The knife in reference with a .50 cal bullet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1163.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	669078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1164.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	669079  

Looks to be a small silver fruit knife, or similar.

?

Have you researched the silver markings, I think the knife was made by "George Hape, Sheffield, United Kingdom" but I am only going from the last two markings ( lion passant & makers initial ).
    Need a clear picture. Looks like the grip plates would have been mother of pearl, a nice personal quality item sadly lost.

Yeah I think you are correct. The other makings are to worn for a photo. Now I'm just trying to track down a roster for the 318th, CCB to the 4th armored division. I traced the foxholes back to them. No luck thus far.

Just found a forum with almost the exact fruit knife. The maker was George Hardisty. It would be from the late 1800s. Now I have to figure out why it was with a fox hole. Was it given as a keepsake before a soldier left for the war. A lot of history behind this knife. This link shows what it would look like without damage.
    All About Pocket Knives • View topic - Silver Fruit Knives A Golden Age