Become our sponsor and display your banner here

US/Western Advisors and volunteers in China?

Article about: During the 2nd Sino-Japanese war, and then into WW2 - did foreign volunteers from the west join any of the Chinese factions? I'm aware of Otto Braun operating with the Communist leadership,

?

Question US/Western Advisors and volunteers in China?

During the 2nd Sino-Japanese war, and then into WW2 - did foreign volunteers from the west join any of the Chinese factions? I'm aware of Otto Braun operating with the Communist leadership, Edgar Snow going around (in a non-combat Journalist role) as well as western missionaries. But did foreigners volunteer to fight in the armies of China? (as they did in Spain).

Once the US entered WW2, did US advisors get incorporated into Chinese combat formations? or were they purely in a support/training/command support role?

?

That is a great question. I know we supported china with fly supplies over the Hump of the Himalayas. I would think there was some behind the lines advisors. But with the communist fighting the Nationalist it would be a Step Lightly type of move. There was the American Volunteer Group (AVG) Flying tigers. And Lt. Gen. Joseph W. Stilwell, But ground troops, Not sure.
    We did drop OSS into France.

I'll be watching this thread
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-04-2020 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Added comment

Here's an a not famous secret wasted Australian mission!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US/Western Advisors and volunteers in China?  

?

I had never heard of this operation, that's fascinating!

Thank you for the contribution.

Quote by FinMC View Post
    I had never heard of this operation, that's fascinating!

Thank you for the contribution.
    Not a problem Mate.