Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ww2 burton bradstock.

Article about: I came to Dorset 12 years ago from London after meeting my wonderful partner.It has been since then that I have come to learn the shear importance of Dorset during ww2 and the part it played

Default Ww2 burton bradstock.

I came to Dorset 12 years ago from London after meeting my wonderful partner.It has been since then that I have come to learn the shear importance of Dorset during ww2 and the part it played so well,this is just one part of that story.on the south west coast lies the tiny village of Burton Bradstock who's residents lives would changeforever in the early months of 1944 with the secret plans for "Overlord" "Bloody Omaha" looming and the arrival of the US 1ST INFANTRY DIVISION the Big Red One.there was a joke that was common at the time that Dorset should have tipped into the sea with the weight of so much armament.Burton Bradstock was used by British Commandos in 1942 for operation "Yukon" then the 2ND RANGERS trained on the Bridport Sand cliffs here as they were incredibly simular to the Point,one Ranger lost his life while training.my other thread already covers the "Rangers"and the Rare IWM footage.please enjoy these pics of US serviceman that were based here and who gave so much for us to live in the free world.the greatest generation I thank you.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 burton bradstock.   Ww2 burton bradstock.  

Ww2 burton bradstock.   Ww2 burton bradstock.  

Great photos, thanks for sharing!.....

Fabulous photo's cheers mate.

spent a week in West Bay a few weeks back and found most of theses places in Burton, including the Dove Inn which sadly is now someones houses