Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Named Zippo Lighter W/ Unit Insignia

Article about: Hi guys, Sorry, I wasn't sure where to put this one so here it is. I recently picked this up at a local estate auction. The unit Insignia is for the 2nd infantry and as you can see it is eng

Default WWII Named Zippo Lighter W/ Unit Insignia

Hi guys,

Sorry, I wasn't sure where to put this one so here it is.

I recently picked this up at a local estate auction. The unit Insignia is for the 2nd infantry and as you can see it is engraved with a Maj. Thornton F. Hard and Munich Germany. I was wondering how I go about authenticating this lighter? Is there some way I can research the name and find out when he served and maybe some other info like any decorations he may have received? I tried to do some basic searches and didn't come up with anything really helpful unless I would be a family member. Any direction or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Element7

WWII Named Zippo Lighter W/ Unit InsigniaWWII Named Zippo Lighter W/ Unit Insignia
    Last edited by Element7; 03-25-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Default Re: WWII Named Zippo Lighter W/ Unit Insignia

Hi Kirby
    These lighters are the ones that are faked quite a bit, and when they are faked, they are pretty hard to detect. I collect Zippos (yes I know) and I picked one up that, to me, looked spot on. It was only when I sent it off to Zippo to get the tang repaired, that they returned it saying it was NOT of thier manufacture. Even if the date codes at the bottom look correct, that's no guarantee of it's authenticity.
    So the best advice I can give you, is send it back to Zippo and ask then to replace the innards (keep the original bit, just in case) it's free, and at least that way you will know

John,

Thanks very much for the advice. I think Ill give that a try and see what happens. If I was to have the hing repaired by Zippo how would that effect the value? Its very loose and closes uneven, you cant see it in the photo but it has worn the lower case where the upper lid closes down against it.

Thanks

Element7
    Last edited by Element7; 03-25-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Quote by Element7 View Post
    If I was to have the hing repaired by Zippo how would that effect the value?
    I don't think it would affect the value, after all, it should be used. The oldest one I have is 1939, and it gets it's usual outing twice a year, but be carefull, it gets adictive. Keep me posted on it's progress. And I do hope it's a real one for you

John Ill let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for all your help.

Element7
    Last edited by Element7; 03-25-2015 at 01:37 AM.

John,

I get the lighter back. They did a great job repairing it and they authenticated it. It was made between 1950-1953. So although not in anyone's pocket during WWII its still a pretty cool piece. As much wear as it has and being that its all consistent with the engraving and unit insignia I suspect its all authentic just not as cool had it been done during WWII. Since its not really my area of collecting I decided to sell it. I did list it on Ebay and if you like I could PM you the link.

Thanks again for all your help!

Element7
    Last edited by Element7; 03-25-2015 at 01:38 AM.

Well done Kirby. I'm pleased for you. Always good when it turns out the best way pm sent