Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone have a photo of a M4/46?

Article about: Hi Guys... I was just wondering if anyone has a photo of a HJ buckle M4/46, in particular the back? Just as part of my on-going education, I would like to compare it to a buckle that I've se

?

Default Anyone have a photo of a M4/46?

Hi Guys... I was just wondering if anyone has a photo of a HJ buckle M4/46, in particular the back? Just as part of my on-going education, I would like to compare it to a buckle that I've seen in a local antique shop...
    And just one other quick favor... are the ears on this buckle in the photo too long?
    Many thanks... Cheers Hansi
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone have a photo of a M4/46? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anyone have a photo of a M4/46?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Anyone have a photo of a M4/46?

Hansi, the Heer Julius Kremp buckle you have shown is a nice original buckle, have a look in the M4 makers list you will see other examples there, I also believe there is a M4/46 HJ buckle in there as an example
    Ben

?

Thanks a lot Ben... there were two examples in there but both of them have a pressed out roundel, whereas the one that I'm interested in has a smooth back... here's a photo of it... what do you think?
    Thanks also for the info concerning the long ears... alles klar Herr Kommisar!
    Cheers.. Hansi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone have a photo of a M4/46?  

?

Actually, this isn't the exact one that I'm interested in... I found this one on-line but it's exactly the same as the one I would like to purchase... also with the flat back...

?

Hansi,

You wouldn't want to compare a steel buckle with an aluminium injection-moulded one, no matter both were made by the same company. Different material, different production method. Instead, compare the injection-moulded one you're looking at with others of the same type. If the one you're thinking about looks like the one you posted, you're all right!

Best, Kurt

Hi, Hansi. It's a fine, original example by Wilhelm Schroder und Co., Ludenscheid (the only maker of this type of HJ, I believe.) Here is my example.

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone have a photo of a M4/46?   Anyone have a photo of a M4/46?  

Anyone have a photo of a M4/46?  

?

Thanks a lot for your help Kurt & Adam... sometimes I feel like such a twit... I hadn't even considered the difference in materials when looking at the two different types! Well, it's another important piece of information to be stored away. I guess I need to find out more about production methods & materials, etc. Is it really that simple... steel buckles are stamped out and the alloy ones injection-moulded?
    The buckle that I have seen (and now purchased!) is exactly like the photos you posted Adam, so I'm really pleased about that... it's only the 5th buckle that I've purchased but I'm well and truly hooked now (pardon the pun)!
    Thanks again guys, your help and advice is much appreciated... cheers.. Hansi

Happy to help, Hansi and no worries...I'm very new to this myself. I can't speak to much, but with regard to Aluminum HJ's I have it on good authority that the majority of HJ's that one will come across are going to be of the stamped variety. These injection-molded types are a bit more scarce and make up maybe 5 or 10 of every 100 you will see.

Anyways, like I said I'm still learning myself (and there is a lot to learn!) but hope that bit of info helps Be sure to post your buckle here when it arrives!

Best,
    Adam

?

Thanks Adam for the further information... that's interesting and, of course, I didn't know that about the alloy injection-moulded HJ buckles. Actually, I've just ordered a huge book from the US which apparently covers just about every aspect of both 1st and 2nd WW German buckles, so I can't wait to get hold of that and start reading up on all these things... as you say, there's a lot to learn, which in a way I'm happy about as it's such a fascinating subject.
    Anyway, I'll be sure to post some pics of my new buckle, I'll be picking it up later today from the antique shop... can't wait!
    Cheers mate... Hansi