Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles

Article about: Hello All I recently picked up this new die-stamped zinc alloy HJ buckle, RZM marked M4/118 for W. Redo. This now complements the other die-stamped zinc HJ in my collection which is RZM mark

Default Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles

Hello All

I recently picked up this new die-stamped zinc alloy HJ buckle, RZM marked M4/118 for W. Redo. This now complements the other die-stamped zinc HJ in my collection which is RZM marked M5/276 for Klein und Quenzer. Just wanted to share this complementary pairing which may be of some interest to the HJ collectors.

As many of you will know, these are the only two known makers of this type of HJ buckle. Both makers have, I think very interesting markings with KuQ employing their idiosyncratic "M5" designation and Redo having an interesting "M"

I must admit I am still somewhat undereducated about these and perhaps a more informed member can explain exactly why these buckles are considered rare or harder to find. Also, why only produced by these two makers? I suspect that it has something to do with the predominant production method being injection-molding, however I'm not even sure why injection-molding was predominant. Was zinc easier to injection-mold than stamp?

It is also interesting that we have the reverse situation with aluminum HJ's where injection-molded buckles are more scarce and by only a few makers as opposed to their die-stamped counterparts.

Anyways, these are very cool buckles, I think and perhaps if others hold examples of these they can post them here. Of course any and all comments or thoughts on these buckles are most appreciated

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles   Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles  

Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles
    P
    Many

Default Re: Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles  
    Attached Images Attached Images Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles  Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles  Die-Stamped Zinc HJ Buckles 

Two cracking buckles Adam, I especially like the Redo buckle, quite unique and not so often seen
    Ben

Hello Adam

A super complimentary pair of die stamped zinc HJ's and I agree with Ben that the one marked M4/118 for Werner Redo Prägeanstadt und Abzeichenfabrik, Saarlautern is not often encountered.

Interesting that both have their own quirks by the markings. One with almost an afterthought and squeezed in "M" and other with the well documented "M5" anomaly.

Rather like yourself, I have never seen a die stamped zinc HJ by a "third" maker.

You pose some interesting questions Adam, although I suppose that everything comes down to innovative buckle manufacturers experimenting in ways to try and utilise readily available tools and base materials in the cost effective way. Die stamping and injection moulding are of course two totally different processes and if a factory is already using effectively the well tried and tested die stamp process, why undertake the expensive exercise of re tooling for injection moulding? The philosophy perhaps of "if it is not broken, then why fix it". As such, the same pre existing tools however experimenting by die stamping to a different (and kinder to the female part of the tool), raw material.

Regards,

David