Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake

Article about: Hey, all. I was sent these two sets of pictures by my friend who is somewhat knowledgable about Militaria, but by no means an expert. In his opinion, the 1st steel HJ buckle (2 pics) is prob

Question Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake

Hey, all. I was sent these two sets of pictures by my friend who is somewhat knowledgable about Militaria, but by no means an expert. In his opinion, the 1st steel HJ buckle (2 pics) is probably a fake due to the lack of detail on the eagle's head and breast, compared with the apparently sharper-looking eagle on the 2nd one-piece aluminum buckle of which he had more pictures. He says he has verified this 2nd buckle as original. I can't say I fully agree as I have not seen this buckle in person and am less knowledgable, but compared in the photos it does look a bit less detailed. Is this the sign of a fake or perhaps just a bit cruder/more worn buckle? The RZM maker's code seems to check out but what do you guys think?

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake   Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake  

Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake   Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake  

Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake   Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake  

Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake
    P
    Many

Default Re: Hitler Youth Buckle Comparison of Original to Possible Fake

I don't think there is anything wrong with the buckles. Both original in my opinion. Just more wear to the first one....common given these were worn very often by their young owners.

Both are good.

Cheers!
    Rob

Adam

I agree with Rob insofar as both the HJ buckles that you have shown, appear to be quite original. You make mention to the first buckle being steel, although both are clearly die stamped aluminium. I wonder and with all due respect Adam, if the first image has been posted in error? Perhaps there is a steel HJ buckle that we should be considering !

Anyway, any day to day use aluminium buckle will quickly wear and especially on the high points. The HJ is certainly no exception and original examples are of course found with varying degrees of wear. This is and in my opinion, not the way to spot the fake aluminium HJ's.

Another very interesting feature is that the different manufacturers of the HJ buckle, each had their own design of eagle. The difference to the eagle designs varying from the obvious to the sublime, although this is a discussion topic in itself.

I have attached a detail image of a genuinely non issued and mint HJ to again show the "extremes of condition and wear".

Regards,

David

Wow the mint unissued buckle is very striking.

Would daily polishing of the buckles have caused wear?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Nick, daily or even weekly polishing would certainly have helped wear down the fine details. Metal polish at the time, and even today, is mildly abrasive. But most of the wear would be due to day to day wear and the soft nature of the alloy used.

Cheers, Ade.

Nick

In theory, the die stamped aluminium buckles are a minimal maintenance type and some of course were issued complete with a factory applied silver or silver grey lacquer. Those aluminium buckles which had a plain box as opposed to a pebbled surface, had sometimes a mirror finish (see attached) which perhaps some HJ members were keen to maintain - by enthusiastic polishing.

By the way, it would have been unthinkable for an SA-Mann to wear his brass buckle (other than those premium price buckles with a minimal maintenance fire gilt finish), unless highly polished.

Regards,

David

Thanks Ade/David

Interesting stuff

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I think David makes a very valid point. The mind set of the average person growing up in the 1920's/30's/40's was very different to that of today. Polishing and a good turnout, even if you were poor, was instilled almost from birth.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade

I agree !

However I polish my shoes every day

Nick

Being an ex squaddie I would expect no less

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast