Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

HJ nickel-coated steel Friedrich Linden

Article about: Hello all This buckle is quite ordinary, being a nickel-plated steel HJ with regulation M4 code, and it has seen better days. What struck me is the particular style of catch. Catches with &q

?

Default HJ nickel-coated steel Friedrich Linden

Hello all

This buckle is quite ordinary, being a nickel-plated steel HJ with regulation M4 code, and it has seen better days. What struck me is the particular style of catch. Catches with "feet" are of course well documented on this type of buckle, but I can't recall seeing this particular style, reminiscent of e.g. nickel Reichswehr or Bahnschutz etc. on a 1933 or 1935 pattern HJ buckle before.

If you have any HJ with this type of catch it would be great if you could show pics!

Thanks and best regards
    Kurt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ nickel-coated steel Friedrich Linden   HJ nickel-coated steel Friedrich Linden  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ nickel-coated steel Friedrich Linden
    P
    Many

Default Re: HJ nickel-coated steel Friedrich Linden

Kurt, do you think it could be a replacement catch?
    Ben

Kurt

Do you think perhaps that your buckle could have started life as this one?

Our old and enigmatic friend of Martin Winter!

Note the "reverse" position of the very distinct catch.

Regards,

David

?

David,

Wow!
    I took the buckle in hand again, and it doesn't look as if the catch has been replaced. Interesting to see that yours also has the brass-coloured solder. The "RZM M4/2" part of the marking is absolutely identical on both buckles. The "4" making up the "24" on my buckle is clearly in a very different style from the "4" of "M4". Patina on my buckle is even, but we all know that patina will build up very quickly again after a cleaning. Still, why would someone tamper with a Martin Winter, a sought-after manufacturer if only because of the SS connection, by turning it into a Friedrich Linden, a standard and boring manufacturer on an M4 marked HJ? Another example of inter-company dealings perhaps where, conveniently, the final supplier's RZM code only needed the stamping-in of a "4"?

Best regards
    Karl

Dear Kurt

As alluded to, I for one will probably never understand who, what and where was "Martin Winter". Yes, the all so boring SS buckle connection, however perhaps a clever distributor who was capable of buying in, modifying and of course, selling - rather than manufacturing per se.

Regards,

David

HJ nickel-coated steel Friedrich LindenHJ nickel-coated steel Friedrich LindenHJ nickel-coated steel Friedrich LindenDavid/Kurt
    here is one of my nickel over steel M4/24 which is identical to Kurts, I have 3 other examples which have a more standard catch type.. I think that the large amounts of solder were due to this catch , I believe these were brazed on . Mine has a large amount of solder as well.
    David
    will you please post a full view pic (front and reverse) of your M4/2 buckle please
    I would like to compare the pics, but I believe that these are all the same buckle, and yours was either a bad stamping , or as mentioned some type of cooperation between makers. But from the pic you provided, I see some very detailed similarities to my buckle.