Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two Unmarked HJ Buckles: Need Help With Maker ID

Article about: Hi, guys. I was sent photos of a few buckles recently, including these two unmarked HJs. It's still hard for me to tell based on photos, but I believe the first one is steel with what looks

Question Two Unmarked HJ Buckles: Need Help With Maker ID

Hi, guys. I was sent photos of a few buckles recently, including these two unmarked HJs. It's still hard for me to tell based on photos, but I believe the first one is steel with what looks like (on the roundel at least) a silver spray finish? The first buckle also appears to have less detail than the 2nd. For this reason and because it is unmarked is this perhaps a wartime production buckle of a lesser quality than the 2nd?
    The 2nd buckle is also unmarked as far as I can tell from the photos. The roundel appears more detailed and the eagle's head looks like some Assmann HJs I've seen. In my my novice assessment I would say this is an earlier steel/nickel type of good quality?

Any thoughts on these two buckles or help with maker ID would be most appreciated.

Best to all,
    Adam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two Unmarked HJ Buckles: Need Help With Maker ID
    P
    Many

Default Re: Two Unmarked HJ Buckles: Need Help With Maker ID

Oops...here are the photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two Unmarked HJ Buckles: Need Help With Maker ID  
    Attached Images Attached Images Two Unmarked HJ Buckles: Need Help With Maker ID  Two Unmarked HJ Buckles: Need Help With Maker ID  Two Unmarked HJ Buckles: Need Help With Maker ID 

i like both of them,even though the second does seem a little weary,,,

Adam

There are apparently some HJ buckle collectors who can identify the maker by the style of eagle and swastika !

I do not have a clue who made the first buckle, although the box "ears" may ring a bell with someone.

The second buckle is more interesting. If the brazed catch is slightly leaning forward and one "foot" has a squared shape whilst the other "foot" has a more round shape, then there is a reasonably good chance that the buckle may have been produced by St. u L.

Regards,

David

Hey, guys. Thanks for the replies and for the info David. I opted out of the first buckle as I think it's a bit bland. I do think the 2nd buckle is of high quality and detail on the roundel. At the same price, a much better purchase and investment in my view.
    It's interesting what you say about the catch and the possibility of St u L as the maker. Once I receive it and am able to get a better look there will hopefully be some more clarity. Interestingly, a collector friend of mine is fairly certain the 2nd buckle is by Berg und Nolte due to the eagle design. As you said, David there are some who can tell by these things so who knows...more shall be revealed.

Best,
    Adam

Adam

B u N are well known for their full width and brazed on catches and they can be easily identified by the style of the foot. I do not think that your buckle has the distinctive B u N catch.

As for a B u N style of roundel - no idea !

Regards,

David

Default B u N catch

Catch often associated with B u N.

Default St. u L catch

Catch often associated with St. u L.

the first buckle is most likely by Paul Cramer . Paul Cramer and RS&S have nearly identical designs. The second buckle I agree is by Berg & Nolte . B&N and Dr. Frank have nearly identical designs..... It is as if there was a third party making the dies and selling identical designs to multiple makers... the way to identify them is by how the boxes were folded or by the catches as the eagles are the same.
    Chad