Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

HJ Trommel (drum) Sonor

Article about: This may be a HJ drum but it could easily not be. These were used before, during and after the Nazi period. Why is there advertising in this post?? Yes, it IS annoying!!

This may be a HJ drum but it could easily not be. These were used before, during and after the Nazi period. Why is there advertising in this post?? Yes, it IS annoying!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ Trommel (drum) Sonor
    P
    Many

?

Green underneath indicates it was a kaiserliche era drum or Weimar era at one point. Most people don't know basic color schemes , dimensions, etc and to them all drums in HJ. Not so.

The drum in question looks pre 45. It's got all the characteristics. But since its a 6 screw drum. ( I assume 38 cm) there's a good chance is pre 33 , providng the paint is original . The geman army used red log before there was even such a thing as the hj or dj
    Last edited by hoacha; 08-13-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: sp

?

And I would like to add that green was used after the war ! Be carefull with repainted drums.
    look at the construction. Easy to spot.
    ..any questions , I would be happy to help

With respect, I disagree. Not easy to spot. Red/white was also used post-war as I'm sure you know. I know the dimensions that these drums should have but the HJ used a variety of drums, both regulation size and non-regulation. I would submit that it is very difficult to say whether we are looking at a "HJ" drum when we come across items like the one posted by the OP.

If it's pre-45 construction with the appropriate wear such as this one, I have no problem with it...
    Indeed it is true that the red/white and black/white drums were used postwar, as I've seen them in Germany myself during local parades...In my mother's hometown of Lampertheim, the Carneval Club (CC Rot-Weiss) keeps an inventory of instruments for local parades, and I'm quite positive that there are several old DJ/HJ pieces among them...
    cheers, Glenn

I agree with you Glenn but would always baulk at saying that these are 100% "HJ".

?

Quote by Norku32 View Post
    With respect, I disagree. Not easy to spot. Red/white was also used post-war as I'm sure you know. I know the dimensions that these drums should have but the HJ used a variety of drums, both regulation size and non-regulation. I would submit that it is very difficult to say whether we are looking at a "HJ" drum when we come across items like the one posted by the OP.
    I hear ya.. But they are RELATIVELY easy to spot. ( i am speaking in reference of pre 45 production as oppossed to post 45|). Weather it was used by HJ, thats anyones guess..Most are sold as HJ.. Thats fine by me.. But my point was it could very likely be a Wiemar era drum too..And i am sure many pre 33 drums where incorperated into the youth bands.. There where 1200 bands before 1939 remember!.. RED/ WHITE was used after the war indeed, and sometimes drums of WW2 maunfacture where re issued . Looking at the materials used to construct the drum are a giveaway when determining the age.. The dimesnsions are another story ,cause a variety of sizes where utilized.. ..along with the hardware., Regulations regarding musical instuments...lol.. Rarely adheared to..

The drum pictured in the initial post is good for any diplay, regarless of organization..
    Last edited by hoacha; 08-21-2014 at 06:20 AM.

Quote by hoacha View Post
    I hear ya.. But they are RELATIVELY easy to spot. ( i am speaking in reference of pre 45 production as oppossed to post 45|). Weather it was used by HJ, thats anyones guess..Most are sold as HJ.. Thats fine by me.. But my point was it could very likely be a Wiemar era drum too..And i am sure many pre 33 drums where incorperated into the youth bands.. There where 1200 bands before 1939 remember!.. RED/ WHITE was used after the war indeed, and sometimes drums of WW2 maunfacture where re issued . Looking at the materials used to construct the drum are a giveaway when determining the age.. The dimesnsions are another story ,cause a variety of sizes where utilized.. ..along with the hardware., Regulations regarding musical instuments...lol.. Rarely adheared to..

The drum pictured in the initial post is good for any diplay, regarless of organization..
    Now we're talking. That's what I was getting at. Drums like this are period drums that may have been used by the HJ but not necessarily. Anyone selling one should not try to make capital out the "Hitler Youth" connection. Anyone buying one should beware that a drum advertised as "HJ" may well be nothing of the sort.

On the regulation thing that you mentioned, yes, I would agree to a certain extent but there were definitely occasions where only RJF-approved instruments were permitted and that was for musical competitions. Musical formations found using non-regulation instruments could be disqualified from competion so were well advised to source only instruments that complied with the RJF list. There's more on that over on The Hitler Youth Forum Front Page - Welcome to HJ-Research.com.....

?

That is nice having one with the snares intact. It shouldn't be too difficult completing the setup with period sticks and holders.

Hummel

?

Intact snares is a big bonus.. i have countless drums missing them..but the strings holding the snares on that drum are not original IMO..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast