Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carl Heidelberg HJ Knife

Article about: I was going to buy this knife but since this is my first edged weapon I am purchasing, I want to make sure that this is a real knife. From what I read this knife has the characteristics of a

Default Carl Heidelberg HJ Knife

I was going to buy this knife but since this is my first edged weapon I am purchasing, I want to make sure that this is a real knife. From what I read this knife has the characteristics of an early blade. It doesn't appear to have a ricasso, it has the motto, and no RZM maker to be seen. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carl Heidelberg HJ Knife  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Carl Heidelberg HJ Knife
    P
    Many

This Knife is as real and reputable as our forum sponsor Lakesidetrader.

Early HJ Knives do not have a ricasso and are very desirable among Edged Weapon collectors.

A+ for this producer and dealer.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for the quick reply to my question. I've bought from Lakeside before but I just wanted to be absolutely sure!

?

To add, I have never had an issue with Paul / and or Lakeside traders.. Very knowledgeable and trusted site. Just my two cents. G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

The knife and scabbard are Original, but they do not belong to each other imo.
    The bubbled leather on the strap clip makes it a late one, also the black leather indicates later production.
    The knife is a very early thinblade.

This one should comes with an early scabbard with a brown strap with a single frontside runner.

Ger

It made me curious so:
    Just red the description Paul made, he calls the pigskin strap "unusual but fine"
    He noticed it too.
    Early thin blade do not come with later picskin straps.
    I would ask Paul if it has 1 or 2 runners, if it has 1 then the brown leather has turned black by shoepolish and the strap is a replacement.
    If it has 2 runners it definitlty is a later type and does not belong originally to the knife.

And Paul is a reliable guy, but different opinions are Always possible so always examen the object and make a judgement, THEN compare that with the sellers view

?

I,m with Ger on this one, he nailed it.

Regards Mac 66

I ended up getting it, I'll post photos once it arrives in the mail. I think I will shoot Paul an email about the runners. Now I'm curious if the scabbard is earlier or later. I had no idea that early straps were brown with a single frontside runner. I was focused more on the knife's authenticity and less so on the scabbard. Thank you Ger for pointing the scabbard out.

I wont comment on the runners as we dont know until the knife is in hand...but as for as the leather retaining strap....these kids were rough with their knives as we have seen those knife throwers landing the knives in the sides of trees cracking the bakelite grip plates.

I would say the strap may be a later period fix because of heavy usage or physical neglect. I would not throw the hanger retainer loop leather in the bin because it does not match what may be common for a late period strap. JMO

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Just received the knife in the mail and as promised I'm posting pictures of it. I can see why the early blades are so desirable. The motto inscribed on the blade looks even better in person!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carl Heidelberg HJ Knife   Carl Heidelberg HJ Knife  

Carl Heidelberg HJ Knife   Carl Heidelberg HJ Knife  

Carl Heidelberg HJ Knife  

?

Does it has 1 or 2 runners in the scabbard?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast