Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Enough to make you weep!

Article about: Hi, the markings on the blade on the opposite side to the lozenge are schnel**tufel, underneath is soling*n germany. The lozenge/hj symbol appears to be made of some plastic type material wh

OKW
    ?

Unhappy Enough to make you weep!

My lastest aquirement. From my uncle who obtained it from his deceased brothers shed. Uncle has been using it for 25 years for weeding in the garden.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enough to make you weep!   Enough to make you weep!  

Enough to make you weep!  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Enough to make you weep!

Unfortunately, this is my second time when I hear of this kind of use.

nice find, gotta remember, if this was not used as a gardening tool the chances are this would have been slung out years ago! i obtained a b24 liberater window that was being used as a window in a chicken shed since the war!

After the war this stuff was worthless really... so for this stuff to be around now is great for us! Imagine all the stuff that was destroyed!
    Dan

Hi Phil, are there any marking on the blade? I am concerned over the shape of it. I realise that years of use will deform the shape with wear etc, but this blade looks really odd.

Also the Hitler Jugend diamond shaped insignia on the grip is not original. This looks like mother of pearl or something and the swastika has been scratched onto it.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi OKW , it`s still what it is , an original HJ knife it looks to be an early steel plated version and that plating still looks amazingly good , and did you notice it still has its original leather washer present at the ricasso . shame about the gardening but those kids used to do all sorts with them also . Have you still got the scabbard ?

cheers Al

Quote by gibba1008 View Post
    nice find, gotta remember, if this was not used as a gardening tool the chances are this would have been slung out years ago! i obtained a b24 liberater window that was being used as a window in a chicken shed since the war!
    Hi, welcome to the forum! Please show the B24 window if you still have it, as it sounds a great find. I love this kind of thing.

Hi Al, one of my concerns is that these knives were kept in production postwar as Scout/hiking knives with the HJ insignia being replaced by a white metal Fleurs des Lys insert. I don't know if you have heard of these? You could still buy them 20 years ago here in the Peak District. Hence my enquiry as to the blade markings etc.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi ade , yes i was aware of those post war knives although when i looked at the grip plates they looked from the photos as if they were the stretched diamond pattern , which i dont think was used in scout knives . i did also look at the lozenge and assumed rightly or wrongly that it had been de nazified and something else ( i don`t know what ) was inserted to fill the hole , however i do take on board your concerns and you could well be correct ! if the original scabbard were available it would help

cheers Al

Hi Al, that is good I hate coming across as "teaching Grandma to suck eggs"

Cheers, Ade.

?

not at all ade , your knowledge amazes me and you could still be correct i love this forum !!!

cheers Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast