MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

First HJ knife purchase, have questions

Article about: Hello All, I've just received my first HJ which I purchased from Lakesidetrader and everything went smoothly, I do however have some questions after inspecting it. The first thing I noticed

poorbast
    ?

Default First HJ knife purchase, have questions

Hello All,

I've just received my first HJ which I purchased from Lakesidetrader and everything went smoothly, I do however have some questions after inspecting it.

The first thing I noticed was the HJ diamond does not wiggle one bit which I hear is uncommon but not unheard of. The diamond is also raised a bit and almost looks as if there is some glue or enamel holding it in place where it fits in the grip plates. It's very hard to tell if its enamel or the way the side of the diamond appears, it's quite tight. Is this normal? Is it possible it was enameled after placement and this is overflow or maybe just how these diamonds appear in general? Paul had no mention of gluing in the item description and from what I've read is a very honest seller so I'm a bit confused. Other than that it's a beautiful looking dagger, it essentially has zero blade wear from sharpening. Would anyone care to chime in and help a newbie out? I can post more pictures or info if needed.

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First HJ knife purchase, have questions   First HJ knife purchase, have questions  

First HJ knife purchase, have questions   First HJ knife purchase, have questions  

First HJ knife purchase, have questions   First HJ knife purchase, have questions  

2. # ADS

Default Re: First HJ knife purchase, have questions

To me it looks like a very nice example. I have dealt with Paul and I'm sure if you have any questions about the item he will be more than happy to assist you!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I have added the pics to the server for you.

The grip insignias were certainly finished before being inserted into the grip as these were made by outside insignia manufactureres and not by the dagger makers themselves. If the insignia is glued in place that is an issue which needs to be addressed.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hi looks like a restored peice to me with replacement alloy rivets & the daimond looks glued in place as mentioned, i,m sure Paul had described this hj knife as restored in his sales description & if your not happy with it i,m sure he will gladly return your money.

poorbast
    ?

Thanks for the input. The rivets also did strike me as a little odd, aluminum looking, I suppose I could check them with a magnet. I'll email Paul with my questions and thoughts. The description had no mention of the knife being restored or
    having the ricasso glued. Here it is below:

HJ-387 RZM M7/51 (Anton Wingen) 1939 Hitler Youth Dagger
    Here's another RZM! The blade looks great! It has some spotting/age grey throughout, but the tip and fit are perfect, the crossgrain looks great and the RZM maker mark is beautifully executed. The blade rates Exc+/Exc++. The leather buffer pad remains intact. The scabbard is well-worn. Some of the paint has worn off, the back runner (and its rivet that holds the leather) are missing, it also has a large pressure mark to the obverse. The leather is in great shape and the snap works as it should but the leather will swing around the one remaining rivet that is loose. The hilt has some oxidization wear and the back of the pommel has lost some of its plating. The black celluloid checkered grip plates are in near perfect condition! The HJ diamond is in excellent condition retaining 100% of its enamel. The scabbard could use some TLC, but the blade is pretty nice. Overall this piece rates Exc+.
    $325 HOLD

?

Quote by poorbast View Post
    Thanks for the input. The rivets also did strike me as a little odd, aluminum looking, I suppose I could check them with a magnet. I'll email Paul with my questions and thoughts. The description had no mention of the knife being restored or
    having the ricasso glued. Here it is below:

HJ-387 RZM M7/51 (Anton Wingen) 1939 Hitler Youth Dagger
    Here's another RZM! The blade looks great! It has some spotting/age grey throughout, but the tip and fit are perfect, the crossgrain looks great and the RZM maker mark is beautifully executed. The blade rates Exc+/Exc++. The leather buffer pad remains intact. The scabbard is well-worn. Some of the paint has worn off, the back runner (and its rivet that holds the leather) are missing, it also has a large pressure mark to the obverse. The leather is in great shape and the snap works as it should but the leather will swing around the one remaining rivet that is loose. The hilt has some oxidization wear and the back of the pommel has lost some of its plating. The black celluloid checkered grip plates are in near perfect condition! The HJ diamond is in excellent condition retaining 100% of its enamel. The scabbard could use some TLC, but the blade is pretty nice. Overall this piece rates Exc+.
    $325 HOLD
    I,m 100% sure Paul will refund your money on return of the hj knife.