Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with HJ Knife

Article about: Hi all, my friend went out and bought this HJ knife, I know nowt about these so your help would be appreciated, in my mind just from the leather I believe it is a fake, gents its over to you

Default Help with HJ Knife

Hi all, my friend went out and bought this HJ knife, I know nowt about these so your help would be appreciated, in my mind just from the leather I believe it is a fake, gents its over to you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with HJ Knife   Help with HJ Knife  

Help with HJ Knife   Help with HJ Knife  

Help with HJ Knife  
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with HJ Knife
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help with HJ Knife

More Pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with HJ Knife   Help with HJ Knife  

Help with HJ Knife  
    Ben

Hi Ben ,i think your right ,im no expert on these but i believe the lip on the opening to the scabbard would not be found on period HJ
    knives.Also the registered maker mark on the blade looks a bit
    suss.

Cheers Brookes.

?

Hi Ben , this looks like a post war made scouts knife that has had a HJ lozenge inserted . The makers mark on the ricasso shows a modern day registered trade mark ( R in a circle ) the pattern on the grips run parallel with the lozenge ( another give away ) , and the scabbard has a thick throat where the knife is inserted , when all period examples had no throat and a single small rivet in the front , just down from the throat ,

cheers Al

Thanks guys, I thought as much but I have never collected these at all, I only know what I have read about them, the leather on the scabbard was suspect to me straight away!
    Ben

?

Ben the guys are 100% correct on this hj knife its a post war copy, i hope your friend didnt pay too much for it mate if he did tell him to get a refund.
    Cheers Scott.

Quote by SWEEZZ View Post
    Ben the guys are 100% correct on this hj knife its a post war copy, i hope your friend didnt pay too much for it mate if he did tell him to get a refund.
    Cheers Scott.
    Hey cheers Scott, he paid £150, I have told him to take it back and the seller to read this thread if he has doubts about the knife!
    Ben

Quote by ALLERBERGER View Post
    Hi Ben , this looks like a post war made scouts knife that has had a HJ lozenge inserted . The makers mark on the ricasso shows a modern day registered trade mark ( R in a circle ) the pattern on the grips run parallel with the lozenge ( another give away ) , and the scabbard has a thick throat where the knife is inserted , when all period examples had no throat and a single small rivet in the front , just down from the throat ,

cheers Al
    Al could you post any pics of a genuine one for an example?

Thanks

Ben
    Ben

?

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Hey cheers Scott, he paid £150, I have told him to take it back and the seller to read this thread if he has doubts about the knife!
    Ben he was done stinking at £150, worth maybe £25max, heres a pic of an hj knife i recently sold on. Al some hj knife makers grip pattern does run parrallel with the daimond like this late war Anton Wingen without motto, but you are correct about being a red flag just to make you look more into an hj knife for anymore problems!!!
    Regards Scott.

Help with HJ Knife  

Fake HJ knives are endemic.

Last week my daughter called to say that a friend of her boyfriend had got a HJ dagger to sell which once belonged to his Grandad. So I was fairly hopefull it would be good. I went over to see her and the knife on Friday and it too was a fake.

Cheers, Ade.