Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hitler Jugend Knife: Fake or Original? A Couple Critical Points

Article about: Hi, all. I recently saw this HJ knife for sale and was considering a few things about it in regards to authenticity. While the knife looks original from a glance (the leather on the scabbard

Exclamation Hitler Jugend Knife: Fake or Original? A Couple Critical Points

Hi, all. I recently saw this HJ knife for sale and was considering a few things about it in regards to authenticity. While the knife looks original from a glance (the leather on the scabbard is incomplete, knife has a worn look, esp. on the blade/motto and riccasso where the RZM mark is) I think this could not be good for the following reasons:

1) The scabbard seems to have a small lip (although this could be the pictures or my eyes)

2) The RZM mark (so faint and without a good picture to see it) appears to be on the obverse riccasso which I have been told is questionabale as most are found on the reverse.

3) Lastly, the riccasso looks high for an earlier or transitional HJ knife with motto as which as I understand are supposed to be low or absent.

Any thoughts on these points or the authenticity of this piece? I emailed the seller asking for photos of the opposite side of the blade so hopefully that will show a maker's mark identifying it as a transitional.

Thanks, all!
    Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler Jugend Knife: Fake or Original? A Couple Critical Points   Hitler Jugend Knife: Fake or Original? A Couple Critical Points  

Hitler Jugend Knife: Fake or Original? A Couple Critical Points   Hitler Jugend Knife: Fake or Original? A Couple Critical Points  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hitler Jugend Knife: Fake or Original? A Couple Critical Points
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Hitler Jugend Knife: Fake or Original? A Couple Critical Points

hi , agreed it has issues , scabbard lip would put me off. some better pics and shots of trademark/ rzm would help .close up of the scabbard lip ,hard to make out if it flares or if the scabbard is scratched in that area.have noticed myself over the years any i have seen and my own example have the trademark / rzm mark have been stamped on the reverse,.cheers paul

I personally would stay away, that scabbard lip is a big worry

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

It looks like it is a seasoned REPRO
    Newton

definitely a reproduction....

Run away from this one. Bad news.

The scabbard issues have already been mentioned.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the grip diamond yet. The fit is not to my liking. It's wrong.

If it's $10 buy it for kicks. If it's retail...then laugh at it 'cause the seller is gonna' end up unhappy when he's unable to move it.

?

Adam this is a modern repro made to look old, have a look at this link for hj knife info Lakesidetrader German Dagger & Military Collectable Site

There is no rivet on the scabbard either !

This would be very convincing to someone who doesn't know,
    and my guess is that it will eventually be sold ..........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the replies, guys I'm glad my suspicions weren't unfounded and that I'm starting to develop a critical eye for this stuff. Apparently, the seller claims it as original and offers a money back guarantee. That combined with the fact that it appears nice and worn/weathered could really (and probably will as Steve said) fool someone that doesn't know a lot. Perhaps I'm a bit naive, but as a "modern" reproduction it seems pretty insidious as someone would have had to distress the piece and age it like this...and very convincingly. I'm starting to learn that that a fair dose of paranoia can really save a lot of upset (and money) in the world of TR militaria!

Thanks again, all.
    Best,
    Adam

It does seem pretty insidious to me that

?

hi, main lesson i have learned over the years is believe nothing to be original until you can prove to yourself it is. i mean its got to the stage that even the most common day badges are faked , this hobby is swamped with fakes and the best defence is research .any money spent on books ect is an astute investment something that tends to be forgotten in the Internet age! cheers paul