Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

HJ knives: what do I need to know?

Article about: Hi Guys... I thought that I was going to stay focused only on belt buckles, but very slowly a few other things are beginning to creep in, and just lately I have really started to drool over

?

Default HJ knives: what do I need to know?

Hi Guys... I thought that I was going to stay focused only on belt buckles, but very slowly a few other things are beginning to creep in, and just lately I have really started to drool over the many HJ knives on offer but... I know nothing about them, and I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of fakes around, so.. what are the things that I need to be aware of... ? Also, just out of curiosity, I have noticed that the finger-guard on some knives have a gentle curve and on others it's quite sharp and the guard ends up parallel to the handle (see photos)... is this difference down to slight variations between makers? Also, some blades have 'Blut und Ehre' inscribed and others nothing... so same question, is this just a different style? I would really appreciate it if you could give me a few tips to point me in the right direction... many thanks... cheers, HansiHJ knives: what do I need to know?HJ knives: what do I need to know?HJ knives: what do I need to know?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ knives: what do I need to know?
    P
    Many

Default Re: HJ knives: what do I need to know?

Hi Hansi, this is a broad subject and really requires much more study than the few lines I can write tonight. But here is a good link to get you started, written by Paul, a member here:

Lakesidetrader German Dagger & Military Collectable Site

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks so much Ade, this link is exactly what I was looking for and answers all of my questions (plus many that I hadn't yet even thought of!) very thoroughly... as always, your advice has been spot on, I really appreciate that, and a big thanks also to Paul for writing such an excellent piece.... Cheers, Hansi

here's a simple test:if the scabbard has a pronounced "lip" at the top,,then the scabbard is for sure a reproduction,,,there are other means,but this is the quickest to eyeball...

?

Thanks a lot... yes, that lip was mentioned by Paul in the above link, I'll be sure to watch out for that, although it does make me wonder how long it will be before the forgers realize their mistake and start producing smooth scabbards... if they're not on to that already! Thanks for your help... much appreciated, cheers, Hansi

another way is that all original HJ knives that i have handled over 40 years,,,the diamond in the handle will "wiggle" or rock side to side with a little pressure...Fakes dont have that feature yet that i am aware of....also the enameling of the diamond and is translucent with a "pebbled" background in the red whereas the fakes will be solid red, with no discernable detail below the red enamel,and looks solid,,,

?

There's more to this than meets the eye... (sorry, pun unintended!)... thanks again for these knowledgeable tips. This sort of 'inside' information is priceless to a novice and, whereas yesterday I knew nothing at all about HJ knives, today I'm already feeling more confident armed (oh dear, the puns keep coming!) with this information. Once again, thanks for you help... cheers... Hansi

It is nice to belong to a site that helps fellow collectors keep the hobby or passion of collecting these beautiful works of art. It is sad that they also represented one of the worst times. Thanks to all for your help.